free website stats program Help, I blew it, Tranny trouble | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help, I blew it, Tranny trouble

I know you can't really see it but what there is, is a raised area with the plug screwed into it. Hard to explain, but I was wondering if a welder could weld a nut wher these pieces were and then I could put a new bolt with washer/o-ring. I'm probably just hopeing and will have to replace case. I thank everyone fot the help and guess I'll have to talk to a welder and see if there is anything to be done. There is actually two threads on those pieces but too small to see.

how about a pick of the case hole.. someone might be able to weld it up and retap it but cost might be as much as a case

An alluminum bung could be welded in ,but you would have to take the pan off to do it and even with a tig welder you would have to worry about distortion. So IMO either helecoil or an oversized drainplug.

I thought of that, I also looked into the time-sert suggested and they look like a possibility. New cases and having the dealer replace the gears will surely cost my last arm and leg. Just looking for any straw to grasp now. Thanks again

You can try one other thing,I have used it in oil pans over the years .Go to a marine dealer .Purchase the smallest adjustable rubber plug they have,carfully drill your cases to the smallest tolerance of that plug,put it in and turn the set screw clockwise to expand it.

They can be welded Smitty a good welder will know that with a hardened alum. the trick is to pean the area and weld a small amount at a time so as not to overheat. The peaning releives the stress:s

Well I was able to screw the plu in a mall amount.maybr three threads, by hand. Might go in further but is wobbly. Didn't see any spidering. Thanks all

Smitty. I have been a welder all my life and I have to disagree on this one,Case hardened alum. can be welded. The welder has to know pre-heats,metal stress and proper shocking of the material (peoning). Before I went strictly into trailers I had many jobs welding case hardened alluminum,including recall work from lift truck manufacturers.The problem with a lot of demo welders is that they can run a pretty bead of weld ,but they don't know spit about metallurgy!

The plug threads seem fine,as I said I was able to thread the plug in a little way. I don't have a thread chaser or I would try that. Steve, I wish you were near as I wonder the caliber of any local welders. Thanks again everyone. I knew where to turn, I just hope there is a solution.

Similar situation happened to me a week ago when i was replacing my lexus rx300 air/fuel sensor and i messed up the female thread but the sensor was still turning a bit so i ended up using a thread chaser from autozone/pepboys, and it bore in clean new threads...I was fortunate it worked..My other option was to weld in a new bung...

Back