free website stats program Help! How to remove riser cover for 2009 RK | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! How to remove riser cover for 2009 RK

If I remember correctly you can look up from under that cover and see how the cover that glen is referring to fastens, if it is stuck on or it has tabs going through the riser cover. This may reveal other fastenings and those blanks could be acting as a "dowel" to keep the cover in place.

No factory manual?

I remember reading something about it in the introductory material for the '08s. The cover may have been first used on the CVO RK and brought to the regular line. I believe it just pops out to gain access to the handlebar fasteners or something without removing the entire shroud. The exploded diagram might make it look like those two screws got moved in underneath that cap.

I have previously done that and removed all the snap on covers including #108 ... this snap on cover only provides access to the handlebars clamp ... viz there are 2 holes where you can loosen the clamp allen bolts for bar adjustments. What I am aiming to do is to swap out the stock bar and I can't get at it without removal of the riser cover. Sigh!

Glider ... if you are referring to the screw that is visible AFTER the spear on top of the nacelle is removed, then the answer is yes ... I've got that too.

thats weird my stock set up looked just like that pic but with phillips screws at 10 and 2 .. are the heads of what they are flat?

According to the 2010 manual .. couldnt find a 09 it comes apart as we are saying thems just supposed to be screws easy to remove nothing in manual about it being different

Last edited:
Have you tried looking up from underneath yet to see if there's anything that can be seen to release either the cover or the entire plate?

I have a 2009 RKC and my dad has a 2009 RK. I've removed the nacelle from both. And both, at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions have phillips screws. Yours are very weird. I'd probably use an easy-out to remove those "screws", and then replace them with 2 phillips screws. It just lifts right off after those are out.

Thanks guys for your attempts to help but I think I have found the answer to the question ... apparently my model is what the moco calls Harley Davidson International and these models are slightly different ..

Here is an extract of from the service manual (yes, I bought a copy in sheer desperation .. hehe)
which I found under the Fork Lock Removal section ..

NOTE
On HDI models, use a center punch to make a pilot hole at the
top of each break-away screw. Install a 1/8 inch left handed
bit in drill and set the drill to reverse. Positioning the bit in the
pilot hole, spin out the break-away screws.

Apparently those two blank screws are what moco calls "breakaway" screws ... some sort of security feature I suppose. Now to get to it and get those heritage bars fitted ...

Back