free website stats program Help! How to remove riser cover for 2009 RK | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! How to remove riser cover for 2009 RK

rob7711

Hey Guys ... I am attempting to replace my stock bars with the new heritage bars on my 2009 Road King. I have followed advice here and have only managed to remove up to the trim piece on top of the nacelle. When I pried open the riser cap and the steering lock cap I can't find any other philips screw??? I can't find how I can release the riser cover piece and I am stumped here and would appreciate any help as to how to proceed ....

If anyone has got an exploded view I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Where's your factory manual? :s

Did you get the one on the front of the riser cover?

HD0309009049.gif

Thanks for responding Glider & Smitty901.

Glider ... no I do not have a copy of the manual. If you are referring to part #27 then answer is yes but there is no other philips screw #36 on my bike ... maybe it wasn't installed at factory or worked loose ... nevertheless I still can't release the cover #225.

Have I got to release/remove via the lock as Smitty901 describe to free the cover?

Thanks.

So you go the cap #252 off and there are no screws holding the cover to jkey lock ? better take a pic then so we can see what your working with also did you take the top trim spear #234 off to get at the screw and nut set up #27 thats under it ?

Them the only screws that hold it on 2 at the key lock and one under the trim spear

Hey Bud .. here's a pic of what I see after removing the keylock cap

img0427d.jpg

I have managed to remove the spear and also #27 but the cover is still firmly fasten somehow or other? Any help here?

Where those Plugs??? at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions are is what has to come out. Are they an allen bolt?

Hey Glider ... thats exactly my problem ... those "plugs" at 10 & 2 o'clock are blanks (machined flat) and does not fit any tool at all. I dared not try to pry at them at this moment until I get some feedback as to how to proceed. Thanks.

That's very odd, they were phillips screws in the past. Maybe give the dealer a call and see if they can shed some light on the issue. It must come apart a different way than the past years.

Post it here when you find out and I'll transfer it to the self help area.

Pop that cover off (item 108 in the drawing) and see what's under there. That was new in '08 I think, to make it possible to adjust the handlebars easier or something.

Back