free website stats program Help! HD shop is stumped | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! HD shop is stumped

maxshovel

I have a 2007 Heritage Softail and I ride a lot, both on the road and local. I have never had so much as a hiccup from my bike. I took it to local HD shop for 30,000 mile service (they have performed all service since 5,000 mile). Upon picking it up and riding down the Interstate, I noticed that turn signals weren't working. Brought it back to them. The next day, they said it was ready after they replaced a ground wire and the rear brake light switch. Rode home and put a couple hundred miles on it over the next two weeks when suddenly, the same thing - no turn signals or rear brake light. Took it back to HD shop. The next day they said they had found "pinched wires" under fuel tank. Went to pick it up and before leaving the parking lot, checked the turn signals and they didn't work! Fuse keeps blowing, as we saw after removing seat and putting a new one in so I could get home. They have now had it for 3 days (2 full days) and can't seem to find the problem.
Is there anything that they could have done during the service work that they performed? What in the world could the electrical problem be!!??

Sorry for the long narrative. I am really missing my bike and quite disheartened about the whole thing.
Peace,
Max

My question for the dealer would be if bike was perfect before bringing in for servicing than what could have gone wrong. Discuss what all was done as part of the 30,000 mile service. For I doubt that bike mysteriously now has a problem that was not there before...:(

I have a 2007 Heritage Softail and I ride a lot, both on the road and local. I have never had so much as a hiccup from my bike. I took it to local HD shop for 30,000 mile service (they have performed all service since 5,000 mile). Upon picking it up and riding down the Interstate, I noticed that turn signals weren't working. Brought it back to them. The next day, they said it was ready after they replaced a ground wire and the rear brake light switch. Rode home and put a couple hundred miles on it over the next two weeks when suddenly, the same thing - no turn signals or rear brake light. Took it back to HD shop. The next day they said they had found "pinched wires" under fuel tank. Went to pick it up and before leaving the parking lot, checked the turn signals and they didn't work! Fuse keeps blowing, as we saw after removing seat and putting a new one in so I could get home. They have now had it for 3 days (2 full days) and can't seem to find the problem.
Is there anything that they could have done during the service work that they performed? What in the world could the electrical problem be!!??

Sorry for the long narrative. I am really missing my bike and quite disheartened about the whole thing.
Peace,
Max
Max, what is involved for the 30 k service?
WAP.gif

Thanks, dbmg! I have definitely had multiple conversations with the dealership about the fact that my bike was absolutely fine when I brought it in and suddenly wasn't when I left. These conversations have become slightly heated. So far, of course, there hasn't been any charge for their attempts at fixing the problem.

Max

Thanks, dbmg! I have definitely had multiple conversations with the dealership about the fact that my bike was absolutely fine when I brought it in and suddenly wasn't when I left. These conversations have become slightly heated. So far, of course, there hasn't been any charge for their attempts at fixing the problem.

Max

The reason there is no charge is the futile attempt to correct what they damaged in the process of doing a routine service on bike. The heated part of the conversation is do to the fact that a dealer thinks they are never wrong. I have worked a Harley dealer in the past and amazed of what will come out of peoples mouth who are supposed to be a professional in their field and a expert on the product they are representing. Yikes!!!!
So hopefully, for you, the third time is a charm and they get it corrected.:s

I know it is frustrating, but give them a chance to fix it, if you have NO luck find another dealer and document what the fix is and return to the original dealer and try to negotiate reimbursement. If this does not work call HD in Wisconsin and have ALL your paper work in hand

We all understand your frustration and I'm sure behind the scene the dealer is just as, if not more frustrated. As hard as it will be try not to put them on the defensive and see if you and the service mgr. can work backward on the work that was done. If you feel that your getting nowhere Jack has you covered.

Thank you all for the great responses. There have not been any electrical mods at all. HD did a basic stage I upgrade, many miles ago, with Rush slip-ons. No electric though. I'm definitely taking the "high road" in discussions with the shop. They were pretty ugly when I stood firm to the fact that my bike had no problems whatsoever for 30,000 miles and I found it hard to believe that it was mere coincidence that this trouble cropped up when it was at their shop. When they said that it was pinched wires under the tank (this was prior to my picking it up for the second time) they had to emphasize that they hadn't been "under there" while doing the 30k service. When it became evident that that wasn't the problem, the playing field changed and I had the opportunity to treat them the way I would like to have been treated, with a level head.
HDDon, I appreciate your words and I do hope that the shop is concerned.
I want my bike back!!
Peace,
Max

Back