free website stats program Help! First-time Harley buyer | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! First-time Harley buyer

Richard
i do agree with those that have said take the MSF course. that is what i tell anybody thinking about it, but from there i would say get your permit, take the course and buy the bike at the same time. either all in or stay on the sideline. there are alot of things about biking that you will find unnerving at first. traffic, night riding, critters and stupid cagers to name a few. i dont think you can rent a bike if you haven't had your endorsement for a year. look at a road king or deluxe. you wont be adding alot to it and you can take a trip in relative comfort. get one with ABS and then after you have 30 or 40k under your belt take the experianced riders course on your own ride. your going to drop the bike so that is just a matter of when. spend more time riding in all situations and less time cleaning. do a shout out for somebody in your area that is experienced that will take time to mentor you and get you out riding and your permit will most likely say you cant ride at night...but you have to get a little experience somehow. make a run to the store right at sundown. i think its 25 minutes after legal sunset and always remember that those 2 beers you are ok with driving you car can kill ya on a bike.
patrick

Hey guys,

I'm really into the idea of getting a motorcycle. I'm getting my license soon, and I've started looking into buying a used Harley but I'm having trouble finding good advice on where to start, what I should expect to pay, etc.

Any tips? I like the classic look, even something vintage would be cool.

Thanks!

A couple of months ago, I was in your same situation. I'm not sure if you have any previous riding experience. Many years ago I owned a Honda CB450 that carried me through college . . . great little bike. Your profile doesn't show where you live . . .I moved from New Hampshire to Texas not long ago, and made a great 'end of the year' deal for a new bike from a NH Harley Dealer. Best decision I made. I was fully prepared to purchase a used H-D for the same price that they offered me a new one.
If you live up in the great white north, then I'd propose that you purchase a 'beater' as others here have suggested . . . get yourself some experience on it -see if you really like riding. Then starting in Oct or Nov, get pre-approved for 12 or 13G and drive a hard bargain for a left over 2012 Dyna . . . make sure you include both electric and mechanical manuals, a highway bar (helps to minimize damage on minor spills) and a security system. Some dealers will deal - some won't.
I love my FXDC (Super Glide Custom), it a great bike for both cruising and around town . . . It has that 'classic' look while still being modern platform . . .

Oh - yeah . . .my 'M' in Texas 'fell off' my license some years back . . . I had to get a new one. I took the 'riders edge' course here at Caliente Harley Davidson in San Antonio, Texas . . . Absolutely the best 150.00 I could of spent. Fantastic, experienced instructors that knew exactly what they were doing. They also have an 'experienced rider' course that can be used as a refesher course. You get 10% off your insurance to boot! There are other MSF courses all around the country . . . just do a google search for MSF courses and you'll find a bunch - good luck!

Let us know how it turns out . . . .

Mark - Thanks!:bigsmiley4:

Last edited:
I'll tell you what I did when I was in your situation about 7 years ago. I wanted a Harley more than I could say, always have wanted one. Well, I took the beginning riders course and I HIGHLY recommend it. That is something that should not be compromised on. PERIOD. However, my thoughts on what bike to get is where I differ with other advice given here.....I figured I'd learn to ride on the bike that I wanted and was in the budget and that was a Dyna Streetbob. A great bike, part of me still misses it. Anyway, looking back, I personally would do it the same way again. As far as your choice of bike, the 72 is a great looking rig, I took one out for a short putt and it'd be a blast to run around town on but if you wanted to do any traveling, you may be somewhat disappointed in long ride comfort. Especially if you have a significant other that might ride with you. Not trying to talk you out of the 72 at all, it's a beautiful bike and part of me would be jealous, but just keep those things in mind.

Well its me again...I feel like Im going do do a flip flop :)...I still would not start off on a harley...But I would not get a loan and be wishing I was riding something elce...So...I think Id get something cheep but safe bike and get a fue thousand miles on it and then get the harley...Why I say this is because....Some day when I can afford it Id like a new truck...But the thing is, I want a f350xlt 4WD and they are about 35K.....Now you can get into a plane jane truck for the mid 20s...There is no way I want to be making payments on something I dont even like....So Im keeping my old TK and hopeing someday business will be real good....Sorry Guys..I also love cars and trucks..

As many here have mentioned. Take a MSF course. The key is what they will teach you in the classroom. When and why accidents occur and how to be better prepared to avoid them. Welcome to the road on two wheels.

Well I am a beginner rider on a street bike an have not rode a bike for several years an only rode dirt bikes. I recently bought a 94 Electra Glide 760lbs bike to my 5"7 150lbs with a bike that size I had to lower it 1" with a lowering kit an swap seats for a reach seat. I still need to go get my motorcycle license only have motorcycle learners permit. I am going with a safety coarse to learn to ride. I am going at it the hard way jumped feet first into a big heavy cruiser wanted a Harley touring bike. But you could go with a Harley Sportster or even a Buell a sport bike Harley made. But first I would take a safety coarse an get some practice in an get a idea of what price range you want to go with. The bike I got is heavy so remember you are going to have to be able to lift this bike up if you ever lay it down an best to use the crash guards on it to keep the bike from getting tore up. An for the safety coarse you need to have full riding gear an a motorcycle learners to even take i But just take your time an see what fits you price range an what you are after an check ebay an places for bikes an swap meets an places for parts.

Just a bit of info... The "crash guards" are not that. They are engine guards that will help prevent damage if you drop it. They will not save you or the bike in a get off with any kind of speed behind it. Even a low speed.

Choosing a bike is a personal choice. But, don't let your want override your abilities. It's waaayyyy too easy to get in over your head very quickly when riding. This very true for new riders.

Practiced skills, decision making, experience, and ability will help keep you safe.

In the case of new a rider, practice makes you a better rider and a safer rider. Practice. Then practice some more. Then when you feel you have practiced enough, practice again.

I suggest starting with a smaller bike if you have not got a lot of miles under your belt. I started 40 years ago with mini bikes, bought a 1972 Honda CB100 at 12 with grass cutting money and just kept moving up. I think the weekend warrior courses are good for safety training, however, I don't think anyone is road ready after 2 days no matter what the state says. I had a learners permit for a car for a year before I got my license at 16 and to think they can teach someone to ride safely in 2 days is ridiculous. I rode a Sportster for my first Harley and then Softail models till last year. I bought a touring bike and really had to practice with the weight and fairing for a while til I was comfortable with it. That sums up 40 years of riding and I could not even tell you how many miles. A 2 day riding course and a new Harley is a deathtrap waiting to happen in my opinion. Crawl, walk and run... in that order. Don't let us scare you away from your dream just start small and be safe. Riding is great enjoyment.

Hi guys
I am 53, just started riding three years ago, wanted to ride all my life
Took the safety course, then a few private lessons w/ an ex state trooper bike cop, they have some incredible skills, bought a 2003 honda vtx1300 with only 400 miles, been riding that for two years
Now I want an Electra glide classic awesome retro looking bike
I am torn between 2009 withvall the new features vs 2008 and savings a few bucks
Looking for some help is there a big difference, heat seems to be an issue
Seems like you can get a 2008 ultra classic for a good number which would be more bike than I need, only ride for fun, no long trips

I'm really into the idea of getting a motorcycle. I'm getting my license soon, and I've started looking into buying a used Harley but I'm having trouble finding good advice on where to start, what I should expect to pay, etc.

Have to do the leg work I'm afraid. Checking the web will save some traveling until you are ready to test drive one. Check Craigslist, Ebay and places like that to get JUST an idea of what some people are asking....most are ridicules. You'll get some kind of feel of what to expect I think.

Finance or pay cash...whatever floats your boat. Your cash.

Get the one YOU LIKE when you're ready no matter size. I've never been one to believe in getting a small bike and work up....but, that's worked for ME.

Back