free website stats program Help! First-time Harley buyer | Harley Davidson Forums

Help! First-time Harley buyer

Hey guys,

I'm really into the idea of getting a motorcycle. I'm getting my license soon, and I've started looking into buying a used Harley but I'm having trouble finding good advice on where to start, what I should expect to pay, etc.

Any tips? I like the classic look, even something vintage would be cool.

Thanks!

Don't want to bust your Harley dream(s), but I'd say a better way to go is get yourself a cheap/used clunker to start & gain experience. Better to learn on a cheap m/c vs. your dream HD...IMO. After a few years/miles in your mirrirs - then start shopping for the HOG.

I agree with Iceman here, Get your endorsement first, get some practice, then go to your dealer for some test rides, find one that fits you good, you may try renting one for a day or 2 and get the real feel over a long ride:s

I learned to ride motorized 2-wheelers on a Rupp Sprint minibike w/5hp pull motor...then upgraded to dirt bike from there. Whenever I did go down - not much to hurt/damage, but my pride...:p

Thanks for all the awesome advice, guys. I guess it's pretty easy to want to jump in with an awesome bike, but not necessarily worth it to spend big money yet.

I had my eye on the Harley-Davidson Seventy-Two because of the vintage design, but maybe I should find a cheap beater for now. Not gonna stop me from trying to win it though, did you guys see the contest on Playboy yet? Pretty crazy prizes.

Richard you did not mention if you had ever owned a motorcycle before, so I'll assume that this will be your first. My suggestion would be to take the MSF intro course. They will give you enough pointers so you will have the basic riding skills you need, then it will be practice, practice, practice! The suggestion that you get a smaller less expensive bike for your first experience is a sound one. Once you become familiar with the controls and feel of being on two wheels than you can decide what type of bike/Harley you want. Ride Safe

I understand the purpose of a beater bike to learn how to ride (sort of). But if there is a place near you that you can take a rider safety course and they supply the motorcycle, then I would wait to buy one, finish the course, and buy whatever bike you want. I don't agree with buying a beater so if you go down you don't have to worry about the bike. If you plan to go down you will go down. That's the way I see it.
And besides that, why else do we pay top dollar for insurance? Get something you will like, and take care of it for a long time and it will take care of you.
I can understand if you want to start with a smaller bike, something a little more nimble and easier to handle, but why should it be a beater?

I rode my first bike off the showroom floor a week after I graduated high school. A brand new 03' suzuki gsxr 600 limited edition. I never previously rode a motorized two wheel vehicle and never took a rider safety course. You just need to know what your physical abilities will allow you to do. Although I did not take a safety course I do strongly recommend it first. Best of luck. Being on two wheels is the greatest feeling in the world. It's an addiction and is great therapy. Just be aware of who and what is around you and you will do fine.

Thanks, Streetglider, I'll take that into consideration.

Just noticed the forum automatically assigned me the Seventy-Two. I think it's a sign! That's what I was looking at and I just entered to win one at PBGiveaway.com . Fingers crossed! Still have a while before I need to decide, anyway.

HDDon, never owned a motorcycle before, but I've always wanted one. This is just making me want one more.

I've never liked the term beator bike, what I was advocating and what I think most were trying to say was to buy a bike that is somewhat easier on the wallet and easier to learn on than a 600 to 800lb. Harley. I for one would never buy a bike thinking I won't mind falling on this one. Good luck with your contest.

Back