free website stats program Help!!! Clutch Does Nothing!!! | Harley Davidson Forums

Help!!! Clutch Does Nothing!!!

JARK

I have an 04 Road King Custom. I changed the clutch cable to a braided stainless steel line. I compared the new line to the old one before installing it. They were the same length. I installed the cable per the service manual instructions and then went throught the clutch adjustment procedure...one again by the book. Now, when I crank the bike and pull in the clutch, the gears only GRIND as if the clutch is not even pulled in. I can take the derby cover off and see the plate move when pulling the lever in (though the manual doesnt seem to tell me how far the plate should move). I can look in the tranny dipstick hole and see the ramp mechanism move (once again, not sure how far it should move). The clutch lever feels good when you pull it in, just like it did before changing the cable. Any suggestions as to what I did wrong?

There is an adjustment on the clutch cable and a seperate adjustment at the clutch.
Check out the self help...There is a lot of good stuff there. Thats where this info came from and thats how I adusted mine

Here is an almost fool proof method for clutch adjustment. It takes the guesswork out of the "feel" for the adjuster.
Once you have opened up the derby cover and are ready to proceed...

1)Collapse the adjuster on the cable sleeve all the way.

2)Pull the lever against the bar and hold it there with slight force.

3)Turn the pushrod adjuster bolt in while holding the lever against the bar lightly until it starts to force the lever away for some distance. (Do this more than once to get the feel). While keeping light pressure on the lever back the adjuster bolt out just until the lever touches the bar again and then another little bit, about 1/2 turn , then lock it.

4)Adjust the cable freeplay at the lever for 1/16" free play.

You should be good to go .

Always adjust the clutch on a cold bike for best results.

It's better to adjust the clutch so that it starts to grab at least an inch or more from the bar for complete disc separation, which translates into better/quieter shifting.Using this method, you can "feel" where the lever is going to grab with a little practice.

It sounds like not enough pull on the cable. New cables will stretch a bit and the procedure posted above by Dan should compensate for any stretching.

About a week ago I put apes on my springer and did the same thing. My problem was I didn't have the retaining ring in the groove inside the transmission cover. Everything looked good and was moving but the clutch would not engage.

Back