free website stats program HELP....clunking sound when feathering the clutch tin 1s | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP....clunking sound when feathering the clutch tin 1s

When feathering the clutch the clutch push rod will come into and go out of contact with the clutch adjuster at the same time the clutch will be grabbing and releasing this in turn will put pressure on and take pressure off the compensator
a sudden load on the compensator as in starting or letting the clutch out may cause a clunk at the compensator however starting clunk will be the take up of power from the clutch and this can be replicated when feathering the clutch if the bike is moving faster than the engine speed would allow

Brian

When feathering the clutch the clutch push rod will come into and go out of contact with the clutch adjuster at the same time the clutch will be grabbing and releasing this in turn will put pressure on and take pressure off the compensator
a sudden load on the compensator as in starting or letting the clutch out may cause a clunk at the compensator however starting clunk will be the take up of power from the clutch and this can be replicated when feathering the clutch if the bike is moving faster than the engine speed would allow

Brian
That all makes sense to me. And thanks for the reply. Really the clunk I am feeling is not extrememly loud when feathering the clutch and it does not happen every time I am feathering.......just curious if anyone thought it may be the start of a problem. Is what you described for me a potential issue that I need to have checked? Like I said I have mentioned it to the dealership twice and they say everything is good.......but only two months left on warranty is why I am asking for advice!

My 2008 EG will do it also. 21,000 miles and no problems.

My '08 SG did it consistently for the first 43,000 and HDTimeline helped with a thread about this situation that drove me crazy. Had the SE Compensator and Baker DD7 put in and for the past 18,000miles (61,000+ total) haven't looked back. Only a little clunking once in a great while when feathering the clutch. Not the perfect remedy but close.:D

To me "feathering" the clutch means that you are not fully releasing the clutch lever. If that is the case, the clutch push rod maintains constant contact with the adjustment screw and would not be the source of you noise. I would agree with the idea that the noise is coming from the compensator. JMHO.:s

My '10 Ultra made the same sound you are describing, it started this when it was basically new and after only a few thousand miles. I suspected that the compensator was not torqued to spec, the dealer wouldn't agree with me. What I did find that when the bike was fully warmed up that I could simulate the same sound when the bike was idling in neutral by doing quick blips of the throttle. Once I found this out I took to the dealer, they cracked open the primary to find that the primary bolt was not torqued to spec. It's been good ever since. Normally,i would have just checked it my self but it was a brand new bike.......

TRY THIS,,, While idling in first gear at about 20 miles per hour(hold throttle there), use the clutch in and out, Feather and or POP it about 10 times:swoon LISTEN to all the Racket it Does make.... SO this little "klank" is Normal on my bike.:s

The primary chain is on a spring type tension and MOVING (slack up and down) will also make a noise while doing this.

signed....BUBBIE

TRY THIS,,, While idling in first gear at about 20 miles per hour(hold throttle there), use the clutch in and out, Feather and or POP it about 10 times:swoon LISTEN to all the Racket it Does make.... SO this little "klank" is Normal on my bike.:s

The primary chain is on a spring type tension and MOVING (slack up and down) will also make a noise while doing this.

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks bubbie......next time I have it out I'll give it a try. I am thinking what you are sayins is tha the klank i am hearing is normal due to the normal slack that is in the primary chain?

Like I said....I'll give it a try next time I'm out and report back on what I get out of it!

Back