free website stats program Help choosing first bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Help choosing first bike

futurerider

I am now 50, the kids are grown and alot of friends have always had bikes. I have finally decided to get one.

I am 6'-2", 260lbs and I have taken the "About the Bikes" class. Everyone there said "your a big guy, you need a big bike". Okay, I agree. So I started looking at the Road King Standrad and the Electrs Glide Classic.

I am looking for long slow rides on country type roads, comfort (lower back issues, nothing serious) and enough extra power to get out of the way if needed.

I like the Road King, my wife likes the Electra Glide.

What do you think?

Neither one of us listen to music as a rule, and I do not think I will have a passanger for a while until I feel comfortable (mabe months mabe a year).

What do you think - Road King? or would you start with the Electra Glide?

Thanks for the thoughts :)

road kings are nice bikes and look good but your wife will thank you for the GE on long rides. if you go with a tour pack, you can get a detach kit if you like the SG look, good luck on your hunt.

I would reccomend that you go to a HD dealer that rents bikes & rent the bikes that you interested in . I would think the wife would like the Classic or Ultra Classic better than Road King . I never had a bike that had a radio before I got the Road Glide now I wonder how I got along that long without it , I really enjoy the radio :small3d026: . I always thought that the bikes that have the fairing have more to offer than the bikes that dont have fairings for the $$$ IMO . Good luck with your choice & no matter what bike you pick I think you will be HAPPY:bigsmiley12:

I'am 54 and have had my RK Custom for 4 years 15000 miles, I had not been on a bike for 27 years. It took a little while to get back my mojo, your being new and your size I would recommend the road king flhr or classic you can add just about anything you need to.

WOW, really good info already - thanks.

Renting a few is a great idea, but, I have never riden before, and will be taking the Riders Edge Class next month, I am not sure HD would be willing to rent me one. :bigsmiley20:

I am sure if I had a radio, I would use it and enjoy it more than I think. I also do not need the extra distraction, I guess that is why there is an "off" button.

I think you would enjoy either on eof them. I tend to lean towards the RK a little more. I think you would like it a little better. I would ride both of them first with and without your wife to decide which is a better fit for both of you.

A couple of questions,

!. Does the "About the Bikes" class involve practice or just classroom theory?

If it's just theory, by all means take an MSF course that involves practice.

2. Have you ever ridden large motorcycles? The dynamics are very different especially a slow speeds.

If you are experienced and comfortable with large motorcycles then it's just a decision of how you plan to use it.

If you want to cruise around town and go for day trips you can't beat the King.

If you plan on racking up the miles and seeing the country the ergonomics and weather protection of any Glide model is tops.

If on the other hand you are new to riding I would take a course with practice and perhaps get a used dual sport bike (KLR 650 etc.) to get the feel of riding for at least a couple of months. Plus they can be a hoot if you want to play in the dirt.

Not trying to scare you off but just remember "no one rides half as well as they think they do". Don't let your buddies teach you to ride or you will pick up all of their bad habits and develop a few of your own. Riding can be one of the greatest joys of your life, it's like making love except you can do it longer, if you first learn to do it right.

Good luck and enjoy!

WOW, really good info already - thanks.

Renting a few is a great idea, but, I have never riden before, and will be taking the Riders Edge Class next month, I am not sure HD would be willing to rent me one. :bigsmiley20:

I am sure if I had a radio, I would use it and enjoy it more than I think. I also do not need the extra distraction, I guess that is why there is an "off" button.

When you get done with the rider training & get your cycle endorsments on your driver license the HD dealer will rent you a motorcycle . I would get legal before buying a bike IMO

Futurerider,

I went through the same thing last year. I took the safe riding course after having never ridden before. I was torn between the Road King and the Heritage Softail Classic. I chose the Heritage because of my size. Being only 5' 6", I would need to lower the Road King a bit. If I was taller, I would have gone for the Road King, althought the Heritage is a nice bike and I have no regrets about buying it.

By the way, I didn't having any problems breaking myself in on the Harley.

There are some great deals out there! You picked a great time to jump into the market.:bigsmiley12:

Last edited:
The "About the Bikes" class is just that. It is for new riders (i.e. me) or new riders to HD. It is pretty much a sales pitch and explanation of riding style, comfort and accessories. I am enrolled with the "Riders Edge" (MST) next month and hope to purchase and ride shotly after that.

I have NEVER riden before, so big bike vs. small bike dynamics are some what irrelavent to me. What ever I get, it will be new to me.

I am pretty sure I will be sort of a local rider, day trips probably being the max. I don't think we would do any weekend trips, if I did, I would probably buy a trailer and take it with me (I am sure that will raise a few eyebrows in this forum - sorry).

Considering the information you just gave, I will put you down as a vote for the Road King :bigsmiley23:- Thanks alot for the input.

Back