free website stats program HELP/bore size | Harley Davidson Forums

HELP/bore size

i have a 98 ultra efi, fried both cylinders coming back from bike week in myrtle beach a few weeks ago. am new to this. i have torn the engine down and found i need to replace the 2 piston's and cylinder's, what i need to know at this point is what the bore size is in the case where the cylinders slide in the case, i bought the bike and am having to learn along the way, it has axtell cylinders and j&e pistons, true dual exaust and a power comander that i know of, like i said i'm learning, the bore size i get on the bottom of the cylinder is 4.99thousands, hope i am reading this right.
PLEASE HELP!!!

i have a 98 ultra efi, fried both cylinders coming back from bike week in myrtle beach a few weeks ago. am new to this. i have torn the engine down and found i need to replace the 2 piston's and cylinder's, what i need to know at this point is what the bore size is in the case where the cylinders slide in the case, i bought the bike and am having to learn along the way, it has axtell cylinders and j&e pistons, true dual exaust and a power comander that i know of, like i said i'm learning, the bore size i get on the bottom of the cylinder is 4.99thousands, hope i am reading this right.
PLEASE HELP!!!

My question would be How Did You Fry the pistons and cyl's????

Running too hard/ no oil pressure?/ bad pump?/ What?

Are you saying the parts mentioned above (highlighted) are What is there Now? If so I would get those cyl's bored and Pistons to match the bored cyl's, J&E are really good stuff...

Unless the cyl. walls are too bad to bore. Take pistons and cyl's to the shop you are using, Let them check it out.. Bore and new pistons would cost less IF this is the style you want..

You do Need To Know Why the parts got ruined before you put new ones in....

signed....BUBBIE :x

i had them at a machine shop and they told me the cylinders were to far gone, i don't know why the pistons and cylinders were so bad unless it's because it was spark knocking so bad, it spark knocked really bad the hotter it got, i think it is because of the power comander not being tuned right, can't find anyone around here that is good with them, i can't find any part numbers on the cylinders. i could disconnect the power comander and the spark knock would go away, but being the know it all that i am and it being bike week, i had to have the power comander, dummy me, i'm learning.yes it does have axtell cylinders and j&e pistons, that's why i'm trying to find out the bore of the case so i will know which way to go when ordering.
thank you for responding
Gary

:bigsmiley28:
i had them at a machine shop and they told me the cylinders were to far gone, i don't know why the pistons and cylinders were so bad unless it's because it was spark knocking so bad, it spark knocked really bad the hotter it got, i think it is because of the power comander not being tuned right, can't find anyone around here that is good with them, i can't find any part numbers on the cylinders. i could disconnect the power comander and the spark knock would go away, but being the know it all that i am and it being bike week, i had to have the power comander, dummy me, i'm learning.yes it does have axtell cylinders and j&e pistons, that's why i'm trying to find out the bore of the case so i will know which way to go when ordering.
thank you for responding
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot of people who use the Tuners improperly set up.... If you were using High Octane gas and the Knock was there it was Way Too advanced...

A little late now...
On the Bore size?
I don't understand if you have it apart why? case bore just can't be measured?
I don't know if axtell cylds needed to be case bored.... Simply measuring and measuring a stock cyl. should tell you , Try a local parts harley store.... I would suggest a Full HD manual for your year bike if you don't have one... A lot of Answers there..

Spark Knock is like Minnie dynamite trying to reverse the piston travel and is also called Pre-ignition... a Huge driving force and just a little does a Lot of damage... I would Look at the total Damage to the Whole engine as it may have "crank Issues" along with the damage you can visually SEE..

signed....BUBBIE

thanks and you are right, just talked with axtell and the case had to be bored for this kit, i have ordered a new kit, and starting over, thanks for the help.

thanks and you are right, just talked with axtell and the case had to be bored for this kit, i have ordered a new kit, and starting over, thanks for the help.

Just my suggested/opinion here..... I would make sure the Rods suffered No problems and the Right advance/retard Curve be use in the New build.... No guessing and IF you hear Any Knock, shut it off....

I have used a little diesel to prevent Knock when low octane gas HAD to be used. my monster 217# static compression 2000 built motor... That is very high compression....
I never found the need for $$ octane Boost.... IN a Pinch,,,, I Just used the diesel.. About 1/10 gal diesel per 5 gal fill-up...No rattle even on 87 octane.

Newer bikes with 02 sensors that are In Use, cannot get by blending in diesel as it will Harm the sensors.

signed....BUBBIE

Back