free website stats program Help - 3 Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Help - 3 Issues

ssavage50

I bought a 01 Road King about a month ago. Love the ride, but I'm noticing little things that I think need some attention. I know there is a ton of knowledge on this site I'm sure you guys have run into these issues in the past.

1. I noticed when driving stright down the road, that my handle bars are like 2 deg. to the right. Is there an adjustment?

2. at about 5% throttle I feel a small hesitiation in the engin, sometimes it even skips. But only at that throttle posistion. My Road King is Fule Injected with Rienheart Pipes. In 5th gear at 55 to 60 MPH is where this area exsists. Any suggestions welcome?

3. I noticed that when I rolling slow, like in a parking lot and hit holes or bumps, I hear a metallic noise in the front end like somethings lose. I actually thought the front fender was lose. I have disassembled everything down the forks, but can't find anything. My Bike has that chrome nacell around the headlight. I can't pinpoint the source of the sound. Please help.

Thanks in advance, Scott

I bought a 01 Road King about a month ago. Love the ride, but I'm noticing little things that I think need some attention. I know there is a ton of knowledge on this site I'm sure you guys have run into these issues in the past.

1. I noticed when driving stright down the road, that my handle bars are like 2 deg. to the right. Is there an adjustment?

2. at about 5% throttle I feel a small hesitiation in the engin, sometimes it even skips. But only at that throttle posistion. My Road King is Fule Injected with Rienheart Pipes. In 5th gear at 55 to 60 MPH is where this area exsists. Any suggestions welcome?

3. I noticed that when I rolling slow, like in a parking lot and hit holes or bumps, I hear a metallic noise in the front end like somethings lose. I actually thought the front fender was lose. I have disassembled everything down the forks, but can't find anything. My Bike has that chrome nacell around the headlight. I can't pinpoint the source of the sound. Please help.

Thanks in advance, Scott

I had an 03 RKC my bars were a little off. IDK if there is a fix or not.

In answer to number 3- It sounds like your brake caliper needs to be disassembled and serviced. If you search the self help section for brakes you will find lots of info on this. The pistons in the calipers get a little build up around them and will not allow them to completely release, and what you are hearing is the pads lightly rubbing against the rotors.

Check the tank mounts also, they can make a noise like a front end

1) Common that alignment may never have been "spot" on, but you can get it lined up by finding true center line to frame (and aligning the rear wheel, and front wheel using alignment tools, thread or laser sighting. Check the Search tab and type keywords like front end alignment...

2) EFI system may have picked up bad gas, check inlet filter in the tank and those rather notorious corrugated plastic hoses that can get holes and make you lose fuel pressure.

3) Check critical fasteners like others have said. Even more so, the engine motor mounts...plenty of fasteners to check...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/chassis_suspension_and_front_end/7738-critical_fastener_torque.html

Last edited:
May sound funny...no pun intended but you might check to see if you have some headlight hood spring broken or out of place. I chased a rattle for months before I found two of the tension springs ( not sure what they are called at HD) that hold the bling (hood) for the headlight had come loose. Once reinstalled noise was gone.

May sound funny...no pun intended but you might check to see if you have some headlight hood spring broken or out of place. I chased a rattle for months before I found two of the tension springs ( not sure what they are called at HD) that hold the bling (hood) for the headlight had come loose. Once reinstalled noise was gone.

I have found wire connections inside the headlight bezel on other brands that were banging against the side of the bezel, taped everyting up secure and the noise went away...

#3...on my 2002 Road King I had this "metallic noise" in the front end when hitting a bump. The front lower motor mount was loose. The large washer was ringing like a bell when I'd hit a bump at slow speeds.

You may want to check the steering head bearings for adjustment for the clunking going over bumps. Very common.

Back