free website stats program Helmets | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmets

Some places have great prices on name brand helmets. What they don't tell you is they are old stock. There should be a date of manufacture tag inside helmet, mostly on the chin strap up where it attaches. I have noticed helmets that are ten years old and new, but the material might be not up to par from age and all. Another thing to consider.
Since I live in a helmet mandatory state, I went with a higher priced one and probably been checked out a bit, since some of the highway patrol uses them too. It is a Nolan open face. I like it better than the half helmets I used to wear, since I am into comfort and not so much the look anymore. :)

Personally, I always wear a helmet. I have 2, one basic and one with some cool graphics. Both of my helmets are D.O.T. half shell helmets. As others have mentioned, it may not do much if I went down on the highway, but I am more concerned about the people who pull out in front of your on the city streets. The half helmet does not provide as much protection as a full, but the trade off to be able to hear a car next to me is worth it. I had a car in the lane next to me not see me and started to change lanes ( into mine), the only reason I was able to get out of thew way was I heard the car getting closer. Just my 2 cents.

I have two helmets and both are half helments. One is DOT and the other is not. I live in a state were you have to wear helments. If i'm going on a long trip I always take my DOT helment because it has a snap on face sheild I can use for rain and when it is really cold. Wind noice doesn't bother me but that is because I always wear ear plugs. Good luck.

Full, 3/4, half and beanie all sizes that protect to varying degrees your noodle.

Food for thought....
When one goes down, in addition the to usual head locations statistically the place with the most head related injury is the face, chin and jaws. With that in mind the protection factor of the above helmet list decreases with each style helmet.

So basically ask yourself how much risk is acceptable to you, and there's your helmet choice. For me I accept a certain amount of risk and wear a half helmet....though lately with the stupid driver factor I'm considering a 3/4 or even a full as a replacement.

Good info Butch. I always was as much partial to my jaw, nose and teeth as I was to the top of the beanie. And have always ridden with a full-face since I started riding in '77. I have an old Arai that is the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. Problem is is it's over 7yrs old. I think rule of thumb is to replace helmets every 5-7yrs.

But I must be dumb'ing down now that I have this Harley cruiser - now wear a half-helmet of which I would never ever thought I would do for safety reasons. But I find the riding experience more enjoyable with a half vs. the full. Must be the newness of the Harley experience as it is a different experience. So here's hoping the angels always are riding shotgun with we souls less concerned about full safety riding gear :D

Paid out quite a bit of green for HJC black carbon fibre lid.
Looks nice, is light, fits well but wow is it noisey. Once I'm above 80mph the helmet noise is disappointingly bad - really bad.

Went against my own preaching this summer due to heat and bought a HD open face lid. Makes me look like a black mushroom lol but quuuiiiieeeeeeet and peaceful - even with my nice illegally rumbling SEIIs.

Takes time and maybe trial and error to find the right lid for you. The more research and homework perhaps the less error. Personally I don't think I'd enjoy riding lidless, not just the safety reasons but just the wind noise. Perhaps I ride too fast these days :small3d023:.

I think Butch & New Hd summed it up pretty good. I have a full face Fulmer Modular which lets me tip it open on those occasions when I need to without taking it off. It is a good helmet and saved the day for me when I was riding in the rain on a road trip. My 3/4 helmet, was allowing my glasses to get soaking wet and obstructing my vision. Not a good thing on the busy highway that we were on. So I pulled over, put the full face helmet on and tilted up the face shield in such a way that it let me see clearly but kept the rain off of my glasses much like a good visor would do. So whenever I go on a long trip I always take my full face. But, 99% of the time when I ride I use my 3/4 helmet. I just like the good open, airy feel that it gives me without feeling claustrophobic. Your choice. Full face for maximum protection (face, jaw, chin, etc.) or 3/4 or 1/2 for comfort and freedom.

The old saying $5 head $5 dollar helmut. I wear a Scorpion exo 100 and I like it. It has a self storing visor that goes up inside the helmut so you never see the visor when retracted.
ken

The old saying $5 head $5 dollar helmut. I wear a Scorpion exo 100 and I like it. It has a self storing visor that goes up inside the helmut so you never see the visor when retracted.
ken

So, I have a $20 head hu! Spending $300 did not help your spelling of helmut. LOL "Ride Safe"
:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

Back