free website stats program Helmets | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmets

I am like several of the previous post.... wearing 1/2 helmet when it's warm and change with the cold weather to a 3/4. Tried wearing a full face but makes me feel claustrophobia

I always wear a helmet and prefer 1/2 with a good goggle. Started out with a full but wear 1/2 now even when the weather is cold. Just cover up the rest of the face. btw, i rarely see harley riders with full. frankly, like people show off their bikes and feel cool about it, i think one of the reasons for me is also half and harley go better together than full.

Statistically, the most frequent point of initial contact with the head is the left or right chin/cheek. This is only protected by a full face helmet.

Next most frequent is the left or right temple. Protected by either full or 3/4 helmets.

Least frequent point of initial contact is the top/back of the head...protected by any helmet.

Your choice. But, those are the facts.

The wife and I both wear ¾ helmets with a full face shield, heat or cold. Since the King has a full windshield we ride comfortably with the shields flipped up, unless we are 65MPH+ on the highway then the increased turbulence makes us lower the shields.

I use a FF all the most of the time 99% and a half face when I'm test riding the bike after I work on it.

I wear the half in the summer and modular in cool weather and rain if I must. I don't run with a wind shield so, if I know I'm tourning on some 4 lane hwy stuff at 70 - 75 mph for a while, I'll break out the modular as well. Just helps with the wind. And I can flip up for bite to eat or fuel or what ever. The modular is pretty nice for me wearing glasses as well but, other than weather elements, it really doesn't provide the protection a full face would in the event of a collision.

In the middle of summer, I rarely see a full face helmet on a harley rider. But, I wouldn't tell them they shouldn't or really think any different of them for it. Now that you mention it, I'll have to keep an eye out next summer and give them the thumbs up.:cheers

I wanted full face, but couldn't get the thing on with my wire rim glasses. It kept screwing them up and it was difficult to fix them once the helmet was on. If I had known about modulars at the time, that would have been my choice. I went with a carbon fiber 3/4. I live in Florida and most riders don't wear helmets. They must be a lot tougher than me... I have had some bugs hit my face shield that I thought were coming thru the thing... plus I don't have a windshield.

My two cents.

1.) Don't allow your ego to decide what you're going to wear. I am ashamed to admit I have been guilty of this for a long time!

2.) Short trips/good weather: I like my half helmet with my Falcon sunglasses. These are plastic safety glasses that you can get for about five bucks but over 38 years of riding I have found that they are the best at keeping the wind out of my eyes. They come in clear and tinted for night and day.

3.) Longer trips/possible bad weather: I have a 3/4 helmet with flip up face shield that I really like for these situations. Requires periodic maintenance-keep the screws that hold the flip mechanism in place snugged down. They loosen over time and will fall out. and they're plastic so don't tighten them too much.

4.) Long trips/bad weather: I like my Nolan N301 flip up full face helmet. Very comfortable, good protection, noise level is reduced significantly but probably could be better, and has a flip up sunshade at the top of the visor. It's also very well vented and has a removable liner you can wash.

Experiment with different brands. Everyone's head is shaped differently and that is a big factor in helmet comfort. Check out webbikeworld.com's helmet section for reviews.

I read several years ago that an Italian manufacturer (Reeves?) had produced a prototype helmet with a built in rear view mirror just above your visor. Glance up and you see everything behind you. Anyone know anything about that???

I wear a 3/4 on my ultra and switch to full face (have on Shoyei and on Nolad modular flip up style) when weather gets bad.

Back