Helmets with vents

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by Lucy, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Lucy

Lucy Active Member

My husband wears a half helmet and finds it to be very hot. Has anyone had luck with vented half helmets? Do the vents really make a difference or are they more gimmick?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

They really work Lucy. I had them on a 3/4 helmet and you could feel the difference in the colder weather when you closed them.

3. hobo55

hobo55 Active Member

The only way I can tell if my vents are open is to look and see or feel them. So to me no they don't seem to help any.

4. Moucheter

Moucheter Member

I have vent on my helmet and I feel the difference either when there open or close. I also own a helmet with no vent and yes indeed it is very hot.

5. kemo

kemo R.I.P

I don't realize any benifit on a hot day but as Glider says on a cold day if they are closed and you open the vent you notice it then. I think it might be the shape of your head and the position of the helmet. If I lift my helmet higher on my forehead I do feel a difference.

6. threesteps

threesteps Junior Member

I wear an HJC FS-3 (3/4 helmet) and the vents make a difference. I can feel the air flow with the vents open....a big help in warm weather.

7. tobaman

tobaman Member

vents on helmets are probably small to let the air in/out. i cant tell the difference either. always let them open though. never have heat problem with half helmet. with full face, i dont fully close the shield. here's always warm.

may be a short haircut will do the trick?

8. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

On half helmets the vents do cool things a bit, and on full face helmets they work even better, cooling the forehead and scalp, making the faceshield less prone to fogging.

In the old days of the full face helmets, I would close the shield till it touched my thumb (leaving it cracked approx. 1/2" and that worked well for full face helmets w/o vents or "nose-breath guard" (velcro insert to keep nose and mouth way from shield).