free website stats program Helmets With Integrated, Flip Down Sun Visors - Opinions Please | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmets With Integrated, Flip Down Sun Visors - Opinions Please

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
I know we've all experienced that time period at the end of the day when all of a sudden, no matter which way the road turns, it seems you're staring into a setting sun with enough intensity to blind you. Especially if you're visor/glasses aren't spotless clean! Certainly no fun to ride with your right hand on the bars and your left hand shielding the sun - especially if the road is curvy!

While perusing helmet websites and reviews, I see a lot of newer models incorporate an integrated sun visor that can be deployed quickly with one, gloved hand.

I'm curious to know how you folks that use these on your helmets like them. Is it one of those things that you'll never do without again? Or is it a feature that you seldom/never use?

Anyone ever "made" their own by darkening a thin strip at the top of the visor so that it shields the sun if you lower your head a bit?

Thanks!

I have a Scorpion helmet with a dropdown shade. love it. I don't use it all the time, but it helps when you leave and find that the sunglasses are not dark enough or oops forgot them all together. Found out that its great in the rain also.

I also have a Scorpian helmet that has a visor that drops down at the touch of a click. I have it for the ladies to wear. The visor can also be changes to different colors in a matter of seconds.

As Hobbit says, because the visor is integral...make sure it is clear, because it is very inconvenient to change shields if darkness or fogging makes viewing hazardous. Did the visor juggling with my full face face helmet back in the day, didn't care for it then, now choose not to do it now. Use yellow tint googles (good compromise day or night) and not relegated to one helmet style/selection.

if you wear glasses make sure the internal smoked/tinted visor does not interfer with them, this is why i dont use them

Good point - I would never intend for this to replace my sunglasses. Best purpose for me would be to supplement my sunglasses when really getting the glare from the setting sun. Therefore, it would have to snap down without interfering or knocking off the glasses I would already be wearing.

As Hobbit says, because the visor is integral...make sure it is clear, because it is very inconvenient to change shields if darkness or fogging makes viewing hazardous. Did the visor juggling with my full face face helmet back in the day, didn't care for it then, now choose not to do it now. Use yellow tint googles (good compromise day or night) and not relegated to one helmet style/selection.

I think you may be misunderstanding what I'm asking about. This is a very small, tinted visor that flips down, usually inside of the face shield, to help block the sun. If it was clear it wouldn't do any good!

I bought a Scorpion EXO-100 and ended up taking it back and just got the Shoei St-Cruz. I didn't like the integrated shield. I didn't like the way it made the wind swirl around my face, I didn't like the way it fit or looked. The price was great and the idea seemed good but it just didn't do it for me.
Mom always told me, when something is meant to do more than one thing really good. It usually doesn't do any of it very good. My.02

Bodeen

I loved the flip down internal sun visors on my full-face HJC and Schuberth helmets. Lowering the visor is just like putting on a pair of sunglasses. Quick to deploy and quick to retract. No interference with my eyeglasses. Saves having to switch glasses or external visors.

I now wear a Icon Airframe because it is lighter, better ventilated, and more comfortable than the HJC or the Schuberth. I do miss the built-in visor though.

Back