free website stats program Helmet | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet

relay relay like the looks of that half helmet with a retractable shield

I can let you know that it has worked very well for me and comes with a skirt to zip onto helmet for winter and covers your ears. The retractable shield is pretty neat. It pops down when needed and pushes up into helmet when not needed.

just wondering if there is a genaral helmet out there there that meets D.O.T. requirements that is comfy and does not feel like you have a 10lb wieght on top of ur head? i'm using a hjc half helmet right not but not happy the wieght is ok but the chin strap feels like its choking me + it allways wants to scoot back on my head even though it seems to fit nice and snug when i first put it on...just think i need some idea's on a better helmet comfort being the #1 factor

Can you tell if it is scooting back because of the wind, poor fit on you noggin or some combination? I think the rest of the posts covered the carbon fiber deal as far as the lightest option. I think half helmet have to fit much better than a 3/4 or full face, as they have less of you head to grip/fit to. If it is riding back and choking you I would think that would make it feel heavier as well.

You would think that some company would come out with a fit center for helmets. They do this for shimano bicycle shoes. They get a shoe that is close to your size, heat it up in an oven, put a special sock on your foot and then vacuum mold it to each foot. You would think there would be a way to pick a shell, put on a "pad set" and they could inject foam in to fill the void. Any plastics/foam guys out there think this could work to get a custom helmet for everyone?

and you really need to pay attention to how a helmet fits on your head. It wasn't till after I bought my 2nd helmet, and *then* read an article on how to properly fit a m/c helmet - that I realized you can have a helmet that "almost" fits, and that really ain't good. I bought a flip-up HJC helmet, and that because I still had my old Arai, I gave it to my neighbor who had just bought a new bike. I went back and tried on that helmet afterwards and couldn't believe I had bought that thing, as it didn't even touch the top part of my oversized gord evenly. You may know already, but if you don't, make sure when you slide that helmet on, listen for how it feels as it contacts the top of your head. You need to feel it make contact with the entire top rounded part of your head, and evenly, no air gaps, as you put that puppy on. Pressure on the forehead you'll notice right away. Or should.

And I like that Scorpion half-helmet too. May have to get me one of those.

and you really need to pay attention to how a helmet fits on your head. It wasn't till after I bought my 2nd helmet, and *then* read an article on how to properly fit a m/c helmet - that I realized you can have a helmet that "almost" fits, and that really ain't good. I bought a flip-up HJC helmet, and that because I still had my old Arai, I gave it to my neighbor who had just bought a new bike. I went back and tried on that helmet afterwards and couldn't believe I had bought that thing, as it didn't even touch the top part of my oversized gord evenly. You may know already, but if you don't, make sure when you slide that helmet on, listen for how it feels as it contacts the top of your head. You need to feel it make contact with the entire top rounded part of your head, and evenly, no air gaps, as you put that puppy on. Pressure on the forehead you'll notice right away. Or should.

And I like that Scorpion half-helmet too. May have to get me one of those.

I couldn't have said this better. The fit is one of the most important aspects of a helmet. I have yet to find a 1/2 helmet that fits me properly. They all keep wanting to slide back on my head. I can tell that they will slide back as soon as I put one on I can push back up on it like the wind will do while riding and they all slip back on me. So I just keep wearing my trusty 3/4 helmet instead. I've worn it now for 37,000 miles with no problems. It is as comfortable as can be. I guess some heads just aren't made for 1/2 helmets.:bigsmiley15:

Randall

I use the Nolan N43 Air it can be adapted to any style of helmet from an open face right through to a full face as shown in the attached clip (the only version not shown in the clip is the open face no visor with a peak which is the way i usualy wear it in good weather) the helmet is verey light and confortable and in awnser to the comments on the youtube page the vent covers do keep the rain out. Half helmets are illegal in the UK to be honest with the nanny state here it wouldnt suprise me if open face helmets were outlawed soon.

YouTube - Nolan N43 "Air" Motorcycle Helmet

dbmg - I picked up one of the Scorpion EXO-900's from the Rapid City HD vendor, during Sturgis and love it. It's not a LIGHT helmet but feels pretty good on. Installed the headset and find myself plugging in each time I mount up!

Steve E.

Looks like this topic has been covered very well. Only thing I can add is what has already been said...fit fit fit....I think that is the solution.

Looks like this topic has been covered very well. Only thing I can add is what has already been said...fit fit fit....I think that is the solution.

When trying on a helmet, don't just pull it on and take it right back off. Pull it on and position it properly (which normally means so that you can use the top of the face or eye opening as a small sun visor). The helmet should stay in position even without the strap secured. Fasten the strap and leave the helmet on your head for a while. Fifteen or 20 minutes is a good test. Let it settle in. There should be no pressure points. These usually seem to occur around the crown or in the forehead. The helmet should provide even pressure all the way around with no hard points. Your ears shouldn't be pressed, but if your ears are sealed in a bit and sounds around you diminish, that is fine. This will help block wind noise, which will protect your hearing and actually help you to pick out other more important noises.

Back