free website stats program Helmet/Visor suggestions from those that wear them.. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet/Visor suggestions from those that wear them..

After 30 years of riding (20 without a helmet) a friend getting hit by a deer and reading about some other horror stories, I decided to try a helmet. As with most things, I sometime regret buying cheap, but never regret buying best. Research told me Arai makes one of the best. After trying on several in the store, this one (their RX-Q) really jumped out. It's the lightest, they moved the side back so I don't even see the helemt on the sides. It has several vents. The sales guy (who races bikes) said they've done heat studies and this is waht cooler than other helemts. After five minutes on the rode, I am HOOKED! Still have a half shell for running to the local watering hole, but this created a whole new riding experience for me! I am glad I bought it, and would strongly recommend. As a long time lidless rider, I NEVER thought I could even put one on, and here I am bragging about it.

I've got a Scorpion 100 1/2 helmet that has a pop-down visor. I really like it, and it's very convenient. Completely out of the way until needed. When down, it comes to the bridge of the nose. Really nice for sudden showers or blowing debris, yet easily stowed when you don't want it.

Might want to look at Sparx too (SparX Helmets: For Riders, by Riders. Ride on). They were recommended in Cycle World mag for price (economical), quality (good product) & safety (great protection). I went to a local shop & tried one on - ended up finding on internet for $125 w/2-shields (clear & smoke). Wear it up in "windy" NE and shield hasn't flopped down yet - even when large livestock haulers blow by.

I just got my shark evoline, it is the cats meow!, I rode 2000 miles this past weekend in rain, sun, etc, it worked awesome, I put an edsets comm set into it, and rocked the miles away....

Just a word of caution when considering a "high end" re: expensive helmet.

A lot of those high priced helmets are constructed for racing so, they are made of lighter materials. This can be a good think for long rides. However, they also tend to let in more road noise at speed.

You can wear ear plugs to help with this. Or you can still get equal protection at a reasonable price point AND still find a helmet that helps keep the noise level down.

Read some reviews on the Internet of any helmet before you consider purchasing.

At the end of the day, money doesn't neccessarily buy you "better" safety. If the helmet is DOT or Snell (better) certified, then it will perform just as well as the next one in the event of a collision.

Just my 2 cents.

Helmet testing is constantly changing. Until recently Snell promoted an extremly robust helmet shell only finding out later that making the outside of the helmet stronger did not make the helmet safer regarding energy transfer to the EPS (Expanded poly styrene layer in contact with the riders' head that other riders and testers found purely by accident. In road racing circles in Europe found out about the mortorcyle magazines independent lab discovery. It was so significant 2 of the big 3 helmet manufacturers pulled their advertising for 3 years afterwards.

What they found was non-Snell helmets w/ plain DOT cert PolyCarbonate (read cheaper ones) passed tests due to the "eggshell" discovery...a softer more brittle but resiliant shell distributes the impact erergy across a larger surface area MUCH better.

So money and materials are just as important to the rider as any "certification". Just use one and strap it on snug...our celebrated noggins are too important to leave to scribes and lab tests, when it comes to that final moment when you need it.

Check out this helmet the Nolan N43 AIR
Nolan N43 - webBikeWorld

I also like the nolan, I bought one and had issues with fitment so I sent it back, the one thing I noticed the one ride I took with it was that with the shield in the up position the ride was brutal, with the evoline, the shield rattles a little but its tolerable at low speeds (I have a pretty short windshield on my ultra). Otherwise that was also an awesome helmet

Yes, it is always a compromise on what features matter. Each accident is unique as well which will always be a variable that is unknown.

A thinner shell is better for energy transfer (egg shell) and it is less mass which should be better for you neck, but the down side is that it is more likely to be critically damaged from a slight drop.

To me a helmet is pretty much a disposable piece of equipment, meaning that it has a lifespan and should be replaced due to the materials of construction.

I think the best I can hope for is the posts where members really like their helmet. I think that is a good starting point, since a helmet can be a very personal purchase.

Back