free website stats program Helmet use (What's your Opinion)? | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet use (What's your Opinion)?

I friend of mine says all a helmet will do is keep your brains from falling onto the pavement. That's okay; at least the cleanup will be easier.

I have one friend who came off his bike and ground away the shell of his helmet on the pavement. The foam padding was showing but he was alive and is alive today. Another friend, a police officer in a town where I worked as a paramedic, came off his bike while not wearing a helmet and did the grinding with his head. He didn't make it. Closed casket funeral.

I could list any number of incidents that I worked where a helmet made the difference between survival and a funeral. It won't make any difference if I do because those who are against helmets will not change their opinion. I'll just shut up now.

Storm

Interesting arguements.Helmets have been mandatory in OZ in the 35 years plus i've been riding.My issue with THIS issue is i've been a sports rider for all my road years with leathers and always a Full Face helmet.Always.
Now,i'm finding it hard to wear a 3\4 Harley open face helmet.And even though it has a flip up visor i still feel unprotected & vulnerable.

Guess it comes down to what you're used to.

I like my helmet, I haven't "needed" the motorcycle helmet, hope i never do, I have used several bicycle helmets though. My husband doesn't wear his unless he has to, i.e. state law. So off we go, me with mine on, his usually in his trunk.....and we still get along....though I wish he would wear his more.

Helmets to me are good mmmmkayyyy

kidding. after being in the business of picking up accident victims I think at slower speeds the helemets are going to save your noodle for the most part. and if its your time to go your gonna go no matter what. High speeds the initial impact determines a lot is it head on (no pun) or glancing?? most of the times when i look at the ones that made it they were lucky and walked away or were carried away and for the most part alive. and the ones that didn't walk away or were dead wearing a helmet wouldn't have made a difference. Soo for me i will keep on wearing my Helmet and thats my choice and its a law in my state. But the things i have seen i like to increase my chances on survival so i wear mine ;) and im married to a cop ;)

Steve there a handy jigger when things do go pair shape, we have no chioce in Australia we gotta wear em, but i do enjoy going for a blast without now and then.

I've pretty much always used one, even though not required. To me, it's kinda like not wearing a seat belt in the car after wearing one forever. I feel uneasy like there's something that just doesn't feel right when I'm not wearing either one and I'm on the road.

If you don't want to wear one, it's up to you...

I always wear one, Here in California it is the law.
When I ride in AZ I typically do not again depends on the conditions.
I wear a full face when heading thru the desert.
Lots of bugs..

I used to ride sport bikes and I have been down a few times, they have saved my Mellon.

But I believe that it is an infringement on our personal rights.
I know that most of us have enough common sense and do not need to be governed in every aspect of our life's.
Just my opinion.:coffee

Back