free website stats program Helmet use (What's your Opinion)? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet use (What's your Opinion)?

I believe "to each, his own", but personally don't ride without one. It is a shame when lawmakers have to pass laws that force us to be safe (for our own good).

I just recently had a crash that would have turned out a lot worse that it did if not for the helmet I had on. The helmet is
not in such good shape as it was, but my old mellon tested out good.

Not trying to start a flame...but, the reason for the laws (helmets, seat belts, airbags) is not really to protect ourselves from ourselves. The logic is that the cost to society at large (paying for long-term medical care of uninsured, etc.) exceeds the cost of the devices. While I absolutely respect and expect freedom of choice, I also don't want my taxes and insurance rates higher to pay for those who choose not to use safety devices. It's a thorny and complicated issue. How to protect freedom of choice without financially penalizing others for that choice.

I ride with a full-face helmet, as does my wife. I won't take a passenger without a helmet.

I won't let people ride in my car without a seat belt. (My wife went through the windshield of a car when she took off her seat belt to kiss her former husband. She lost her unborn baby, broke nearly every bone from the neck down, has had numerous surgeries including joint replacements, and was in the hospital six months. Her ex, who was wearing a seatbelt, walked away with a cracked sternum.)

I dont like to be told what to do.but i be riding bikes of one type or another for about 35 years. had 3 good hard crashes and got run over in 1980 and i think with out a helmet i may not be here today just my 2 cents:57:

100% of the time. Saved my life 3 times, I'm 61 years young. The last time cost $5000+ to fix my FLHTCU 08 and $61,000+ to fix me plus 3 months off work. I don't like being told to wear one (Oklahoma doesn't require it) but I will NEVER RIDE WITHOUT ONE, nuff said. Ride safe. Anubiss

I think helmets are one of those things that are better to have and not need ,than to need and not have.

Back