free website stats program Helmet use (What's your Opinion)? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet use (What's your Opinion)?

I very rarley wear my helmet but I do own one just in case we go to other states that require them, my choice!

Rule #1 = Helmet laws suck, ex-Marine, in me, says freedom of choice!

Rule #2 = If I have to wear one ( :WASHINGTONhas helmet law), it has to be DOT. I was wearing a "novelty" helmet when truck switched lanes into me, knocking me off my Intruder, and when my head hit the pavement, fake helmet broke and a piece of it cut my head open, requiring twentythree stitches to close. (Also broke wrist).

Needless to say, I wear a helmet most of the time, now and I would rather wear none than put something on it that could cause more injury than protection. :x

I always wear mine and require my passengers to do the same.

I personally don't think it should be required by law but should be a personal choice.

I did read somewhere that cagers tend to be more considerate of a biker without a helmet because they don't want to cause them to get hurt. I guess that explains why all these people want to run over me. Maybe I need an invisible helmet.

We don't have a helmet law in my state. Most of the time I do not wear a helmet.
I do however think wearing a helmet is a very good idea.
I guess I just like to live by our state's motto.

"LIVE FREE OR DIE"

It is law to wear a Helmet here in Australia and for very good reasons. I have two Helmets. One open face type with a visor for local cruising about. One full Face Helmet for longer and Country cruises. if very windy or cold i'll wear the full face helmet regardless on what type of ride i undertake.

:42: I like the fact that in the state of PA where I live you have a choice as to wear a helmet or not but my personal preference is to always wear a helmet with no exceptions. My passengers are also required to wear a helmet or they don't ride. I feel this way because I was involved in a crash with a cage 2 years ago and looking at the damage that was done to my helmet, if I wasn't wearing it, I would have surely been hurt a lot worse than I was. ( I still feel pain to this day from that crash) Just my two cents worth....

I spent 26 years working as a paramedic. I saw my share of motorcycle accidents and enough heads with parts ground off or smashed away to make a really good horror movie. Nothing, not a helmet, not a full set of leathers, will guarantee your survival in an at-speed accident but they sure increase the odds in your favor. The only good rides are the ones you make it back from. I wear a helmet.

John

I work for the Ambulance Service so I would definately recommend 100% use of helmets. Might not look as cool but niether would a mashed up skull!

I hate helmets to be honest but I wear one because if your head hits the ground unprotected it's like cracking an egg open. I do respect the right to choose however.

Back