free website stats program Helmet use (What's your Opinion)? | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet use (What's your Opinion)?

SteveB

Used to be opposed to helmets and helmet laws in general ; guess I've mellowed in my old age and I now use a Dot approved helmet. I have been riding legally on the road for about 30 years. Just made the change this year. What is the general consensus?
(I know this is a touchy subject for some).:panic

I ride with a full helmet...always. Having planted a motorcyle helmet on a curb once and a bicycle helmet into a tree, I'm a firm believer!

Yeah, went down in '94 , had a beenie novelty helmet on, ironically knocked a chunk out right where my "Helmet laws suk" sticker was.Knocked wife's helmet off, stitches and broken bones and road rash. Never know till you've been there.:56:

Not because it's state law where I am at but because I had to see my son (years ago!) in the Ped. intensive care--4 days-- from a bicycle accident. Bounced his head off the concrete!! Could have been worse,thank goodness it wasn't!!

A helmet is definitely going to protect you if you hit your head, but this is a free country and I believe in freedom of choice. Personally I wear a novelty helmet, because it's light comfortable and doesn't obstruct my vision or hearing. I figure if I go down due to not hearing or seeing a potential danger because of an "obstructive" helmet then I would be "safer" with a helmet that doesn't block my senses.

I always wear a full face helmet. Been riding since 1970 and my life has been saved twice by wearing a helmet. I don't agree with helmet laws at all though. YMMV.

Never paid much attention to the laws. Been riding since I was a wee one and had my share of spills, both in the dirt and on the black top. Riding without a helmet was never in the cards for me. However, I do believe in "to each his/her own". :s

Yeah, went down in '94 , had a beenie novelty helmet on, ironically knocked a chunk out right where my "Helmet laws suk" sticker was.Knocked wife's helmet off, stitches and broken bones and road rash. Never know till you've been there.:56:

That sucks! ouch!! Glad you are still here.

For the most part I use a helmet (Skid lid), but if I am at a bike rally and there is no helmet law I go with out the helmet. Heck most bike rallies are so congested with bike that your speed limit is about 25 to 40 anyway. I do have Footbal style old school hemets that I use (DOT) for the long haul and both my daughters have full face DOT helmets none negotiable.

Big Lou

I wear a 1/2 helmet, DOT approved. I do switch to a full face helmet on cold winter days (rare in Texas).

I've ridden without and didn't see the appeal. I wasn't able to see/hear any better, so I figure I'll keep the 1/2 helmet on for now.

I don't consider this a big issue. I have no beef with those that choose to ride without. And I certainly am not going to come across as holier-than-thou and preach. What others do legally on their bike is none of my business.

Back