free website stats program Helmet Poll, Do you wear one? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet Poll, Do you wear one?

Do you wear a Helmet?

• Yes, because the law says I have to.

Votes: 33 14.7%
  • Yes, I am more comfortable riding with a helmet even if the law doesn't require it.

Votes: 128 57.1%
  • Sometimes, even though I live where it's not required where I ride.

Votes: 31 13.8%
  • No, I prefer to ride without, and where I live their is no requirement.

Votes: 32 14.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
I always wear one. If I didn't my wife would severely beat me. Also I don't have a windsheild and on 2 occasions I've hit birds, I can't even imagine what it'd be like to get one in the face.

Don't plan on ever getting on a bike without a helmet. Why take the chance? Had a friend, who is a nurse in charge of ER, tell me the severe motorcycle cycle injuries she sees are head and neck injuries. And specifically injury to the back of the head. I went to Texas over the weekend, where a helmet is not required, and saw the majority of riders not wearing one. It's their choice but I would never make that choice.

I'm completely stunned after seeing the results of this poll. I was certain more of you would not wear a helmet if you didn't have too. Those statements are not meant to be critical.

I incorrectly assumed that more of you would prefer to ride without a helmet. I enjoy riding without whenever I can (out of California).

Many of the comments were enlightening also. Some of the reasons given to ride with a helmet I could not have predicted. I encourage all of you to make your own decision, (when the law allows) and ride as you see fit.

Thank all of you for participating so far!

Happy Motoring!
Ferrous

Always wear one. If I had not been wearing one on August 20th, 2007, you would not be reading my comments right now.

hit an owl once, thank God i was in my truck...In Ca helmet mandatory all the time...I don't mind although I rode a lot of off-road without helmet (even more stupid I think but youth is surely different)...My only thought is that the safety foundation says that most accidents (MC) happen in the first six-minutes of a ride and also most accidents (MC) happen within a few miles of your home...think about it...I have tried to make a habit of sitting on the bike and thinking about a minute before i take off and remind myself to be cautious out of the gate....just never know....

Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I read a survey done on traumatic brain injuries that stated 51% of injuries involved a motor vehicle. That's only about 1/2 of the injuries reported and that's any motor vehicle, not just bikes. So it looks like if you really want to be covered 1/2 the time wear a helmet in the car or on the bike. What, you don't wear a helmet in the car? :unsure What about the other 1/2 of the time do you wear a helmet while you are on a bar stool, yes, that was mentioned, or walking on ice or in the bath?

The only way to avoid injury is to avoid the crash and that requires constant vigilance and a little luck. Maybe I'm out of line here, but I've been riding for over 40 years and the only crashes I've had are on dirt and I always wear a helmet on dirt as I get a little nuts there. :D A helmet is NOT a talisman to keep you safe, it will at best, reduce injury.

So as the Sargent on Hill St Blues said "be safe out there". But don't depend on a helmet to keep you safe as you may be disappointed.:(

Sometimes I do, sometimes not. I read a survey done on traumatic brain injuries that stated 51% of injuries involved a motor vehicle. That's only about 1/2 of the injuries reported and that's any motor vehicle, not just bikes. So it looks like if you really want to be covered 1/2 the time wear a helmet in the car or on the bike. What, you don't wear a helmet in the car? :unsure What about the other 1/2 of the time do you wear a helmet while you are on a bar stool, yes, that was mentioned, or walking on ice or in the bath?

The only way to avoid injury is to avoid the crash and that requires constant vigilance and a little luck. Maybe I'm out of line here, but I've been riding for over 40 years and the only crashes I've had are on dirt and I always wear a helmet on dirt as I get a little nuts there. :D A helmet is NOT a talisman to keep you safe, it will at best, reduce injury.

So as the Sargent on Hill St Blues said "be safe out there". But don't depend on a helmet to keep you safe as you may be disappointed.:(

I think your math is a little fuzzy. While you are correct in observing that about half of traumatic brain injuries involve a motor vehicle you cannot extrapolate any conclusion regarding one's odds of suffering a traumatic brain injury if involved in a MC crash based on that report. The reports regarding the odds of suffering a traumatic brain injury if involved in a MC crash without a helmet are rather sobering. However, your ride, you decide.

Back