free website stats program Helmet has a bad name | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet has a bad name

IMHO once you're over 21 you've got the right to decide for yourself whether you should or shouldn't do something. I think many are opposed to the reduction in personal freedom so that's why they oppose them. Personally, I do ride with one. I've ridden w/o, usually when, before my S.O. got her own helmet I'd giver her mine to wear. I enjoyed the feeling of no helmet, but I didn't feel as comfortable or as confident on the bike as when I did. Just my $0.02.

As I get older I feel more comfortable with the fact I have to wear on due to the law and the lack of responsible driving from people driving cars and trucks who pay more attention to there cell phones and passengers than the road.

I have been hit 2 times and neither time did my head hit the ground but I have weird luck.

However I honestly know when I cross that Idaho border the bucket will come off and will stay off depending on the weather.

I wear it most of the time. When I dont I just did not feel like it. I have been wearing half helmets up unitl October when i got my first full face. I like the full face HJC, Dark lense etc. Cuts wind noise some, no wind burn or sun and no sand in my eyes. Also good when cold out, this year in FL it has been cold full face allows me to enjoy ride to work in early mornings.

Don't feel we should be told to do it. But I'm trying to protect what functioning brains I have left. I wear one.

Wear one 98% of the time, and have worn them since 1962 when I bought my 1st new bike. I've had birds,bugs,bees and road debree hit my helmet that I know would have not felt good on my noggin. But I do agree with all, that it is and should be a personal choice. Jes m2cw :bigsmiley11:

I very much appreciate the responses. Seems most appreciate the freedom to choose. We all offer the respect to those who choose to wear a helmet or to those who choose not to. We all realize the risks involved VS the freedom, the right, and desire not to wear a helmet. After reading the replies, it seems to be more of a personal decision then it does a safety issue. This is what I was trying to determine. It is pretty interesting to realize the power of personal choice, even if it is at the risk of the odds. If you think about it, it is part of being an individual making our own choices without being told what is best for us by big brother. It comes down to letting us make our own decisions, even if the majority says it is wrong. I do not wear a helmet, but I know I should. Bottom line is, I make that decision, and I, and I alone, will bear the conesquences. Thanks all.

I use a helmet all the time but what I do hate about it is that it gets hot on those scorching hot summer days and it messes up my hair :)

I have rode with hubby without one. Then I got my own ride and had to wear one. Well, Im glad I did. When I hit the deer in 08 I hit my noggin hard enough that I was bleeding in my eyes. I had a helmet on. I also slid face down. I was told that if I didnt have it on I wouldnt have made it. Severe head trauma. So I am very thankful. Now I dont have to wear one anymore but I do. I know accidents do happen no matter how careful you are.
Ride safe everyone.

I wear a little soup bowl. Not good for much of anything but pleasing the law here. I don't like the weight or heat they retain. I do have several DOT approved helmets I will wear from time to time, mostly depending on the weather and if I ride out of state. The wife always wears a DOT approved helmet, then again she's a lot better looking than I am..................:newsmile036:

Back