free website stats program Helmet has a bad name | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet has a bad name

Ahh...Brian...if only some of us had a dad who rode a classic bike with leather helmet, much less one with a side car...man-o-man I can only dream about such things.

That was the family transport triumph 500 speed twin and when dad was not available mum was at the controls
the bike and sidecar went in 62 and dad went in 83 mum still sees dad in me especially the enthusiasm for the bikes he was a good mechanic although un trained i thank him for passing on his ability to understand how things worked

Brian

Besides the mushroom effect, for the wife, its the fit of the lid. When we ride the wind catches the brim and pulls the lid back on her head almost like strangling her. I tell her to pull it tighter but it doesn't solve the problem. I used to have custom boots made in Mexico that fit like a good pair of gloves, maybe they should work out something like that for helmets.

One of my buddies hit a dog years ago and went down, slid/skiided/rolled about 75' on the pavement, ripped his leathers up pretty good,and some skin, but the back of his helmet was ground down through the fiberglass into the foam liner, if had not had the skid lid it would have been his skull being ground down. he has a hard head by his own addmission, but.....
By the way he still has the helmet hanging in his garage just to remind himself about why he does wear one...

My wife and I always wear them, we go through states where they are required and live in one where they are not so the simple thing is just wear them all the time. Besides, we use the intercom.

Don't feel helmets have a bad rap - I feel my head wouldn't look good if it gets "rapped" into the ground. Don't want to be like Clark Griswold's "Cousin Eddie" & have a piece of "cheap government plastic" in my head - wouldn't make the part look good. I always wear one...:newsmile011:

The helmet gives you a pretty bad case of "helmet hair" after a long ride. But I just started carrying a hat to wear while off the bike. I have been hit by way too many bugs and stones to want to take it off when riding. The worst was riding during the cicada hatch -- these giant bugs come out in 11, 13, and 17 year cycles -- they bring a tear to your eyes if you collide with one of them on any part of your body going over 35 mph.

When you see one of your friends trying to hold a guy's skull together to keep is brains from falling out until a life flight shows up will really change the way you think about helmets. The rider did survive...all his broken bones heeled...the lights are on but nobody's home...does not reconize his family, walk,talk,feed himself...the burden on his family is unreal,at first there are friends and volunteers to help but as time goes on it is up to family.Would a helmet have changed his outcome??...only God could answer that...but it would have greatly increased his chances of not ending up in a vegetative state.Make sure you have life insurance,a Will...have all your personal choices documented in writing in case you do survive but can not function...so the people that are left behind do not have to make these decisions...jmo

Please remember the thread was about why you don't like to wear a helmet. We all know the reasons we should. Just don't want this to become a debate. Thanks for all the replies. Seems the biggest reason is comfort and freedom.

In most cases I wear a helmet for all the reasons, but sometimes I just want to feel the breeze and the enjoyment of just riding and feeling unrestricted.

Back