free website stats program Helmet has a bad name | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet has a bad name

walleye

Contributor
Just curious about what is the main reason some don't like wearing a helmet. Is it because of the way they make you look? Is it because they are hot or otherwise uncomfortable. I have to think it has to be one or the other as I can think of no other reasons, but I am curious as if there are other reasons. I do not wear one, although I know I should. Since there is no helmet law where I live, I don't. As far as why, I would say for me it is about 50-50 about looks and comfort. Not advocating if you should or you should not wear one, not wanting a debate and not asking why I should ( I know that answer) just want to know everybodys opinion about what they do not like about wearing one. Ride safe.

I'm a mix of comfort and feel. Meaning, if I had a helmet (I currently have a Bell Shorty) that was comfortable I would probably wear it more. I'm in the market for a new one presently but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily wear it.

I like the feel of riding without it. I don't ride in traffic much and my riding style is pretty subdued. But with a wife and young kids, I know I should wear one more.

It's all about comfort for me. I rode for years before helmet laws were brought in and I finally found a helmet that's not too bad to wear (Carbon Fiber). The heat, weight, and wind noise were all reasons to hate the flipping things. Sure there is the possiblity of being in a bike crash and being saved by my helmet but I feel the odds are pretty slim for either happening. I'm one of those biker's who don't think a crash is going to happen, it's all a matter of time. I think it's very possible for me to finish my life without a crash. I also think that the guys and girls riding the rice rockets with the full face helmet's on have a false sense of security, but of anyone they really do need a helmet on.

Most of the reason I didn't like wearing a helmet was the law was enacted while I was a young man, and I didn't like being told. When the law was repealed in my (former) state, I continued to wear one (1/2 or bucket). I tell myself and others, it's because I like the glare reducing visor. Maybe it's because I'm older and more cautious?

I'm not a vain person so its not the looks.
Yes I still have a full head of hair!:D

Steve07,
I don't consider myself vain, if you seen me you would understand! :D
But I have to say when I look in the mirror with my helmet on, I have to admit it does enter my mind that my head is super enlarged. Maybe it is just my helmet, it is old and large. I do not ever think anything negative about helmets or people wearing them. Maybe my post that states 50-50 looks and comfort really should be 90-10. I mostly like the feel of the open wind. Thats the biggest reason I don't wear one. :s

The feel of the sun on your head and the wind through your hair is unsurpassable in my opinion a helmet,any helmet diminishes that experience.
Yes I still have a full head of hair!:D

That must be why I wear one, to keep my head from looking like a red rubber ball :newsmile011:

Hey walleye,you gave me a gremlin bell so I don't ever have to worry about anything anyway,right????:s:lolrolling

That's right! Worked so far hasn't it? But remember, they only decrease the odds, not eliminate them. Always ride safe! :bigsmiley12:

Would like it if I could go for a ride without a helmet, but on one side there is the law, on the other, there is my wife :D

I Like to say out of an argument with both of them :D

That said, no matter how safe I drive, if I ever encounter a blowout I will be thankfull for the bit of extra protection they make me wear. And every now and then on a ralley or so I will go without for a day.

Take care,

Back