free website stats program Helmet exemption | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Helmet exemption

For medical reasons I have a permanent exemption card from the province of Manitoba that says I don't have to wear a helmet even though it's the law here. I was wondering if it would be honored in other provinces or states where it's also the law? Does anyone know or where I could find out? I figured this would be the best place to find the info. Thanks Geezer.

What would happen is that you would get a ticket and have to go to court to prove your medical condition. The cops really don't care.

I think this is still the best answer for in Canada.
Unless you can get a Federal exemption, your Manitoba card probably
wont work on the stop, only in court.
My guess is the police in your area don't stop you cause they have all
gossiped and they know who you are.

In the US, well I got stopped once in Washington for not having my
headlight on. Talked my way out of it, but it took 15 minutes of discussion
to establish the bike was insured, because of the date format on the
insurance card.. the US use month/day, Canada uses day/month.

TBH, I think you would be better off if you go to the states to pick
your way through states without helmet laws.

Geezer, as far as I know it's law to wear a helmet in all provinces. BUT... here in BC, anybody that wears a turban doesn't have to wear a helmet due to thier religious beliefs.

Does a doo rag count as a turban? If it does then Allah be praised.

Here in Ontario,after a long and costly trial the turban wearer lost his case against the Province.He had used the explanation that the helmet law was a violation of his religious beliefs.
While I am not in favour of helmet laws I am glad he lost.If someone migrates to another country they should be made to conform to that countries customs and laws,we should not have to alter things to suite the immigrants customs. OK off my soapbox now!!!
Couldn't agree more!! What gets me is the turbans in the RCMP. The mountie is supposedly Canada's most recognized symbol and they don't have to wear the traditional hat.

Amen to that Steve! Especially, since if you or I would go to most of the countries of those who come to our countries and raise a stink about having to remove their burkah's or turban's, we must obey the laws in their home countries or we would be prosecuted.

An example is try to read the Holy Bible in another country, in public. Oh, BTW, if you have two bibles, possibly a study bible for your room & a small one to carry with you, guess what? Your in trouble. :newsmile055:

Anyway, everyone is welcome, but you should be prepared to follow our rules, not bring your own.

Wow a Turban passes for a lid who would have guessed that one

I think Chopper has made a great point on this subject. Here in NJ, helmets are the law. As mentioned in other posts, you would be pulled over by every police officer who saw you and I can almost guarantee that you'd fill a saddlebag with the tickets you'd amass. Municipal courts are notoriously unsympathetic when it comes to explaining tickets. I understand you have a medical exemption, but the court could take the opinion that riding a motorcycle isn't a necessity, and not give much weight to your doctors note. In any case, the amount of time and money that would be spent, for certain ,isn't worth it. Stick to the states that don't require a helmet, and for sure, bypass NJ.....

Wow a Turban passes for a lid who would have guessed that one

One problem with that, don't know any that have a DOT cert sticker on 'em or if it offers "any" head protection. Kinda like carrying an inflatable passenger in the HOV lane,...like the auto pilot on "Airplane":laugh

Geezer, try to find the HD Carbon Fiber one made by HJC, it has vents for air flow, is extremely light AND fits even my over sized cranium well...best fitting helmet I have ever worn, you won't be disappointed. Want you around the Forum and riding with protective gear is still a big plus, exemption or not and worth the price of admission!

HDCarbonFiberHelmet.jpg

Last edited:
Back