free website stats program Hells Canyon | Harley Davidson Forums

Hells Canyon

Stevo4204

My wife Kim and I are leaving Montana this coming Thursday in route to Hells Canyon in Northwestern Oregon. I read about this place in Rider Mag and it sounds like a great ride. Will hit La Grande, Ukia, John Day and Baker City after visiting the Canyon. Then up White Bird Pass into Lewiston Id, then home to the Flathead Valley. Anyone ridden over there and have advise??

I was just up in the White Bird/Riggins/Lewiston area this past weekend, it was 105F on Thur. in Riggins, but on Sunday coming home it was in the 50s. Went up highway 12 over to Lolo and back on Fri, and Sat., they had just chipped sealed the road and had to ride at 35mph for 20 miles of so. Came back over Lolo pass on Sat. morning and it was 42F, had to stop once and hold my fingers over my exhaust pipes. Stopped at Lochsa lodge on Sat. morning for breakfast, nice place. The Lewiston/Riggins area is pretty low elevation 740ft. above sea level, my bike started pinging a little when rolling on the throttle until I went up in elevation a couple of thousand feet. Great scenery.

My wife Kim and I are leaving Montana this coming Thursday in route to Hells Canyon in Northwestern Oregon. I read about this place in Rider Mag and it sounds like a great ride. Will hit La Grande, Ukia, John Day and Baker City after visiting the Canyon. Then up White Bird Pass into Lewiston Id, then home to the Flathead Valley. Anyone ridden over there and have advise??

We drove through Hells Canyon two years ago in our truck. It is unbelievable scenery. I would truly love to do it on the bike. We talk about towing the bike out there from Missouri and then riding it through the canyon and lots of other great areas in Oregon. Actually the John Day fossil bed area would be my number one choice for a ride. Probably the most beautiful, scenic place I've ever been. Views like no other place on earth. You're in a great part of the country. Enjoy! and let us know how the ride was.

Jimmy

When I was living in Boise Hells Canyon was on of are regular rides and still one of my fav. there is also great stealhead and samon fishing in that canyon.

Dave

Its Tuesday and we made it back in good shape. We toured the Canyon on Saturday. Temp was 97. had to stop and take a swim. What an awsome road leading into the canyon from the Idaho side. Exited out to Baker City. Could not have asked for a better weekend other than it was cold all day Sunday and Monday on the way back home. Kim has a heated jacket so no worries other than finger tips. Will go back next year to explore further.

Back