free website stats program Hello... | Harley Davidson Forums

Hello...

rweber8612

Hi from new guy to this site. I found the site by searching for info on better braking on my 1960 panhead custom.

I live in Montana, been riding Harley's since my first, a '65 Sportster bought in '65.

Usually had a cupla' HD's around. Now down to one. A 1960 panhead custom.

I built custom HD's and repaired also (on the side). This bike I have owned since the mid 2000's I built for a guy who wanted to win the "Americana - 1965 or older" show class at a major rally somewhere in Colorado in the mid 90's. I think it was around Durango or?? Anyway, the bike won 1st place, even after he rode it all the way from California.

Anyway, around 2004 or so he passed away from cancer, and his wife eventually contacted me as to what she should do with it. Since the artwork on the tanks was of me roping (I am a cowboy), I really wanted to have it instead of someone else who would most likely repaint it...

So, I made her an offer (about a 10nth of what he paid for it) because I didn't have a lot of cash laying around... (never did LOL) and she accepted my offer.

It's a beautiful and very unique bike. I sold the other HD's I had, and now only ride the panhead. It's all tricked out with 6-speed and all. And I now have over 100k miles on it.

I have probably covered a couple of hundred thousand miles in my life on Harley's. Am 68 years old and still riding... (have to watch out for deer, elk and bears here in Montana though).

When living in California, I rode at least a hundred thou with the San Mateo HOG Chapter. Mostly on an '03 Electra Glide with the HOG group.

So, the '60 panhead needs better braking at the front. It has twin 4 piston calipers with ss rotors, all by Performance machine. But at high speeds (80 - 100 mph) surprisingly the brakes don't haul the bike down satisfactorily at all.

I am pretty sure I installed a 5'8" bore handlebar master cylinder. Now I am hearing all sorts of conflicting stories on which size bore should be used with this setup.

I am going to check and see if the forum section will have some info.

Thanks, Bob

Glad to have you aboard! :ws:rider
From Central Florida.

Welcome from So. Texas. The 5/8 bore was for single disc. and the 3/4 was for dual disc. brakes.Somewhere in the '90's they went to 9/16 & 11/16 bores. I would check with Perf. Mach. and see what they recommend.
tourbox

Back