free website stats program Heel Toe Shifter, kinda like a rattlesnake. | Harley Davidson Forums

Heel Toe Shifter, kinda like a rattlesnake.

bikermonkey

So seems to me the heel toe shifters are more deco than function. Seems to work better also on dressers where the rider postures up more. I do use it when putting in town from time to time on my fatty, but generally it's just more exagerated in lifting my foot off the boards to heel down it. To me, it's like a rattlesnake, it's cute laying down there, but I really don't want to stomp on it all day. What do you think?:coffee

Quote:
So seems to me the heel toe shifters are more deco than function. Seems to work better also on dressers where the rider postures up more. I do use it when putting in town from time to time on my fatty, but generally it's just more exagerated in lifting my foot off the boards to heel down it. To me, it's like a rattlesnake, it's cute laying down there, but I really don't want to stomp on it all day. What do you think?

I thought I was the only one who felt this way and I have an 08 Ultra Classic. I would much rather use toe for up/down shift than lift foot to heel upshift.

Last edited:
It all depends on your situation. I have had ankle surgery and can't pull back on the shifter with my toe. Most of the time I just turn my leg out and shift up or down with the side of my heel. Even when riding my sons dyna with forward controls I hook my boot heel over the top of the shifter.

Oh, and if there was a rattlesnake on my floor board, I would need some help.
"CAUSE I DON'T LIKE SNAKES" . They may not hurt me, but they make me hurt myself.

I also LOv it ..once I got use to it....I do ride on rather long trips...but also and maybe its a factor I have very small feet so that rattle snake won't bite me...lol:D

I've gotta agree with Smitty here, if you do alot of miles on your bike the left boot winds up taking a real beating. Hard to explain the left toe scuffs during an inspection too.

I'm getting used to the heel / toe shifter, it's my first, but I have large feet and I do have to be careful with left foot placement. I still catch myself using the toe shifter on the upshift from time to time.

I find it easier to shift with the heal shifter. Pressing down just seems easier than lifting up with the front of my foot. It may be what you're used too also. If you've had a lot of bikes that only had a toe shifter, than you're probably going to prefer a toe shifter.

Mcdraayom's reply could've been my own, ankle and foot surgery left me with a foot that hurts to pull up a toe shifter with, but pushing down suffices. The heel shifter has saved me from going to an electric shift, so I love 'em! :hii

Back