free website stats program Heel Shifter Fell Off | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heel Shifter Fell Off

I noticed on these newer touring bikes they use the same exact shifter for both front toe and rear heel making the heel shifters bolt go in from the bottom therefore if you don't keep up on it it may fall out and you might lose the shifter. The older touring bikes had the heel shifter threaded from the other side so both bolts were put in from the top. Guess cutting expenses has its problems. For the change reason alone I'd insist they replace it free. oops looks like I should have read all the posts 1st.

On mine the heal is the outer lever to clear the primary housing cover and the screw faces up. If they are now getting levers with the screw drilled and tapped on the opposit side; this would be an engineering or supplier foopah.

For all of you in the HSHC "heel shifter haters club" I moved my floor boards out 3/4" and now have lots of room. :bigsmiley8:

I was just at the dealer today and noticed that the 2010 touring bikes all have the heal shifter screw facing down. No new 11s to look at yet.

Glad I caught this thread. Checked mine and it seems fine for now, but I still think I am going to pull things apart and use something to lock the screw in better.

I have never really looked at how it goes together, so I assumed they had taken precautions to keep it from stripping or the screw from coming loose since it is made to be stomped on.

Oh well, forewarned and taking action is better than wondering where it went when I go to upshift and there is nothing there.

Now if I could just get it to quit catching my pants leg when I stop and put my foot down.

On mine the heal is the outer lever to clear the primary housing cover and the screw faces up. If they are now getting levers with the screw drilled and tapped on the opposit side; this would be an engineering or supplier foopah.

For all of you in the HSHC "heel shifter haters club" I moved my floor boards out 3/4" and now have lots of room. :bigsmiley8:

How did you move out your boards? is there a kit or did you come up with something of your own?

How did you move out your boards? is there a kit or did you come up with something of your own?

Got mine at J&P they are the cheeper ones but they are decent quality. I think the expensive kit moved them out farther to 1" mine are 3/4".

Dr.'s Dolittle and Evil,

Thanks for the info. Have wondered about this but never looked into it.

Definitely a good investment if you get a bigger breather, or want a little better foot positioning. Got my HarleyGoodie extenders back in May and they're awesome!

About 6 months ago, the heel shifter fell off my 09 Ultra. I found it and aside from a very small ding, there wasn't any damage. The bolt was still in it!! Well I reinstalled it and used blue loctite on it. Also checked the toe shifter and loctited it. Learned to check regularly.

Today, tried to down-shift (I do not "stomp") and son of a (EDIT) the toe shifter had come loose and was moving free. The bolt was still VERY tight and the loctite was holding well. Again- never abused! But I'm guessing the lever splines have stripped, and I'll repeat--- I do not stomp. Dealer says bring it in and he "will see" :bigsmiley29: Still under warranty

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back