free website stats program Heel Shifter Fell Off | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heel Shifter Fell Off

Your are on your way towards a good relationship with your current dealer of choice. If you get in "good" with them, you may end up like Hobbit and get nice perks like the "demo" bike for those times you bring your bike in for a major service or upgrade. Not a bad deal if everybody wins...:bigsmiley12:

Fact of the matter is that this has happened to quite a few so someone isn't checking things over.

A drop of the blue locktite will help here once it's tightened up being it takes a thrashing. I've also seen some guys kicking the shifter pegs on these bikes like they were shifting a piece of heavy equipment. The key is to use your foot to engage the mechanism , not stomp it into place.

I've had mine on my 09 UC to fall off twice now. I lost it the last time. I tightened it with a cheater until the allen wrench was starting to twist. You mentioned locktite after it's tightened. Where do you put the drop at? I even put red on the treads the last time, and it still feel off. It's not the cost of replacing it. Being old and set in my ways, it's hard to change back to toe shifting. :bigsmiley28:

I've had mine on my 09 UC to fall off twice now. I lost it the last time. I tightened it with a cheater until the allen wrench was starting to twist. You mentioned locktite after it's tightened. Where do you put the drop at? I even put red on the treads the last time, and it still feel off. It's not the cost of replacing it. Being old and set in my ways, it's hard to change back to toe shifting. :bigsmiley28:

Red loctite on the threads usually means on permanent. Especially if you used a cheater and were in danger of snapping the allen wrench. Does the lever have slop in it after all the tightening? Is there something in the slotted area that could be keeping it from clamping down all the way? If red loctite didn't hold it, a drop of blue won't either.

I'm glad your dealer did the right thing. I would have given you mine, I just can't get used to heel shifting so I yanked mine right away. Let me know if you want a spare.

ask them what they would do if the front wheel fell off , make them replace it and check everything else or tell them to refund the money you paid for what they like to call pdi and check everything yourself

I don't like a heel shifter...it's the first thing I remove on the bike.
With the toe shifter, I only have to flex my ankle to shift. I don't like lifting my whole leg to upshift. Different strokes for different folks.

Thorns

Red loctite on the threads usually means on permanent. Especially if you used a cheater and were in danger of snapping the allen wrench. Does the lever have slop in it after all the tightening? Is there something in the slotted area that could be keeping it from clamping down all the way? If red loctite didn't hold it, a drop of blue won't either.

Hey Breeze. Without the cheater, it just wanted to slide off again. The splines look good. The slotted area looks clear, it just wouldn't draw down enough to hold tight. Well, good ridens, I'll have a new one tomorrow. Maybe it will work better.

My rear one is loose. I've tried tightening it and it does not come off, but slips in and out like it's going to fall off, but stops short of coming all the way off. It dose not slip on the teeth of the spline. Just inwards and outwards and wiggles when stopped. The bike is only two months old.

The same thing happened to me. I called the dealer that I bought my bike from, who told me it wasn't under warranty and that I was more than welcomed to come to the New Rider class to learn how to do the pre-ride check. I thought it was a bit condescending, but hey, if that's their policy, oh well. Shortly after that, I visited another HD Dealership about 20 miles away who told me that it was indeed under warranty and replaced the entire shifting unit without a problem at all. Guess who's getting my business from now on.

Back