free website stats program Heated Grips | Harley Davidson Forums

Heated Grips

scsharp2260

I bought Harley heated grips to put on my 09 Road Glide. Then I noticed it says will not work with internally wired handle bars which I have. Anyone know why not?

You will need to run the wires for the grips through the handlebars, so if your bars already have internally ran wires there may be a clearance problem for the heated grips harness to be pulled through or at the ends of the bars may not allow for the grips to be installed do to the factory installed harness for the switches. I went through a few sets of heated grips on my 03 RKC do to shorting from water contamination, have been using heated gloves for 5 yrs now, still the same set, and the top of my hands are much warmer as the grips only keep the palms warm.

I bought Harley heated grips to put on my 09 Road Glide. Then I noticed it says will not work with internally wired handle bars which I have. Anyone know why not?

As others have commented, heated grips can be a challenge when running wires internally in that 1"diameter bar, especially with TBW and hand controls wiring in there as well and past experience from others regarding intermittant failures of those heated grips. As Smitty said, a good pair of Gerbing' heated gloves would probably serve your needs better...:s

My 2 cents is we delivered 25 city police bikes and installed the heated grips.
Guess what the biggest headache was???? Get a good pair of heated gloves for the gloves warm your whole hand not just your palm as heated grips do.

The parts guy at my dealership does his best to talk guys out of buying them. They've had nothing with trouble with the. Heated Gerbings are less than half the price.

I live in Southern Ca. not looking to melt ice just so I don't have to wear big bulky gloves. I installed the bars myself and put the wires inside I guess I can get the wires in also.

I've installed heated grips on 3 to 4 bikes over the past of 20 years and never have had a problem. I've had them on my 1985 for 10 years. I use HotGrips.com I like them but have to admit I never tried a pair of heated gloves and might prefer them - Bob

I heard the heat demons work well.

I went through 4 sets of the Harley heated grips on my 2008 RK so on the 2009 I installed Heat Demons and so far no problems at all. This is the second season, I ride year around so they get a work out! I had no trouble installing even with the TBW, takes about 2 Hrs to do. We ride when it is cold here, some of my friends have heated gloves and they seem to work well but I have not tried them. Either solution you will not want to be without after having warm hands.

Back