free website stats program Heated Grips Installation | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heated Grips Installation

You may want to consider Heat Demons. Everyone I know has had major problems with the Harley heated grips either stopping working or turning on and not turning off on a 80 degree day. The service tech had to cut the wires because we were getting ready to leave on a long ride and he was not able to make them go off. This was the third set of grips.
Thanks for the warning. You sold me.

Anyone install 56100034 Heated Grips to their Trike or Tourer? I can't find installation procedure for fly-by-wire setups. Thinking of buying these but would like to save install fee if it's not a big deal.

How have your heated grips been doing? Any issues?
A guy at work has had trouble with his and is on his 3rd set replaced under warranty. I'm asking cuz I'm looking into getting a set.

Well, I certainly respect others opinions, but I would like to offer a different perspective.
My Ultra Limited came with the factory heated grips when new and I've been very happy with them. I've had no reliability issues or accidental on issues. The have six different heat setting and I've never needed more than the first three.
I've been riding in pretty much lower to mid 40's weather lately. I do not like the bulk of lined gloves or electric gloves tethered to a plug in. With the heated grips I use the same high quality unlined leather gloves I've had for over 20 years.
My caveat is my Ultra has some wind protection from the Batwing and hard lowers. Your results may very well differ on a more open setup.
Also, this setup is on the throttle by wire model set up, so there has to be instructions somewhere.

I have both the heated grips and the glove liners.
The liners are much warmer (just be sure your controller is accessible otherwise you'll be in for some blisters if you hit the highway before they fully warm up - not to br confused with having a good time!
On the other hand if you get caught with a drop in temperature at nightfall without your heated clothes then the heated grips will not only warm your hands but the heat will carry through your circulation and keep yoour arms nice and warm too.
AND BY THE WAY!! the H-D Heated Grips (EDIT)! I barely got a full year out of them and heard that the entire NYC PD Highway Unit returned all their new HD's for warranty on the grips. I bought Heat Demons but haven't installed them yet. - Wish me luck!:)

Please read and understand the info in this link below...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

I have installed these grips on my 09 Ultra. I could not find instructions before I bought them. The ones that came with them were adequate - not great but... They work great and I like them and have had no issues.

I am no mechanic but this install was no biggy. I took my time and had a manual. There was an issue around extras that need to be bought - not indicated in the product description. I complained about that fact and they gave me the ~ $40 in parts for free. Not sure if they fixed that in the catalogue. - just checked - they did.

My sales guy tried to talk me out of the DYI but I did it and am glad. They work great and I know my bike even better. The most difficulty I had was installing a little pin for a wire connector. I did not have a crimper so I ended up soldering the connection. As long as I know that if I have to take it apart then I am golden. Fishing the wires through the bars is a breeze. I used an electricians wire fish. The service guys were telling me that they had a special device for that which included using a comprssor with string etc. Use common sense and take your time and you will do fine.

Last edited:
I had the HD heated grips on my 08 RKC and went through 4 sets as they kept failing. On my 09 I installed a set of Heat Deamons which are a far better product. They heat the inside of the bar so you can have any grip you want and not one that comes with the kit. Installation instructions are very detailed and kit even includes a fish tape for pulling the wires. Took about 3 hrs to do the first one but I could now do one in about an hour.

Back