free website stats program Heated Gear Learning Experience | Harley Davidson Forums

Heated Gear Learning Experience

HarryB737

I recently bought a Girbings Heated Jacket that is Great. I learned something about the product that I thought I'd pass along. My gear consists of the heated jacket & single controller which has a microprocessor built into it with safety features. One of the features is low voltage protection which when activated lets the LED on the controller flash Red/Green if the voltage is low & Green when the voltage is within the proper range.... Here's what I did wrong. Got on the bike, plugged in the heat & had it turned on.... Then hit the starter which dropped the voltage below the thrushold of 10.1 volts (The voltage where the controller drops out).... So here's my advice... Start your bike 1st let the voltage come up via the alternator, then turn on the heated gear. If you see Red/Green flashing simply turn off the controller, it will reset then turn it back on... :)

Thanks for the heads-up. I'd even turn the lights off before starting the bike if they weren't wired to turn on automatically when the ignition is turned on.

I always plug in my controller after the bike is running. I also unplug it as soon as I shut it off.

If I'm not mistaken, the instructions say to have the controller off, start bike and then turn on controller..

You are correct & I'm the only one that doesn't read the instructions... I'll try to do better next time. The instructions did not say what the Red/Green LED meant. I had to call to find out. :swoon

You are correct & I'm the only one that doesn't read the instructions... I'll try to do better next time. The instructions did not say what the Red/Green LED meant. I had to call to find out. :swoon

You're not alone there, I usually read the owners manuals for anything I buy after I sell it.:D

Welcome to the world of heated gear. I have also seen dead batteries, I purchased an on off switch from Gerbings and when stopped for a bit or when not needed I just turn it off then when needed again turn it on and the controller is already set. The switch is about 15 bucks but well worth it.

Since I make my own gear, I never know for sure how much current I'm pulling. Just to err on the side of caution, I typically unplug and shut off the heat 'bout 4-5 miles from my destination. Gives the battery a chance to catch it's breath. Never had so much as a hint of a problem... but there again, 'tis tough to push off a Harley by yourself.

Last edited:
Back