free website stats program Heated clothes | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heated clothes

I have a question about heated gear.
I am trying to figure out if I will be able to wear my gear on my 82 Sporty. It has a brush generator and voltage regulator. I went on the Gerbing site and found the Approximate power usage.

Product Amps/Watts at 12 V Amps/Watts at 13.8 V
Gloves pair 2 A/24 W 2.3 A/32 W
Jacket 6.5 A/78 7.5 A/103 W
Vest 4 A/48 W 4.6 A/64 W
Pants 4 A/48 W 4.6 A/64 W
Insoles pair 1.4 A/17 W 1.6 A/22 W

I have a battery tender pigtail attached to the battery and connect my gear with the HD adaptor.
This works fine on my softail but I am not sure if it will work on my Sporty.

I am not sure if my ex-husband changed out the fuse on the battery tender pigtail attached to the softail or not. I have never blown a fuse.

Not sure if the Sporty charging system can handle the power requirements and do I need to change the fuse in the battery tender pigtail.

I will only be wearing my gloves and jacket.
Taking the old girl to a show in Harrisburg and don't want to freeze.
Thanks for any input!

GENERALLY.... the 1.5 amp fuse gets changed out, by most folks I know who have gone the "pigtail" route.... it's easy enough to pop the cover and look at the softail.Personally... I know the gauge wire can handle the current, for the gerbings, but I'm not one to mess with things... I'd rather have the 2 seperate cables
Given the age of your '82 sporty.... I'd have a look see, at the ACTUAL electrical output....should be simple enough to attach a volt/amp meter onto the bike and confirm power output... On paper, the published otput should be fine... but I'd still want to confirm the bike is putting out, what it's supposed to.... bring what heated gear you have, as test the system under full draw.... Better(IMO) to be safe... than cold in Harrisburg

SkootchNC has good advice...the Battery Tender harness is fused typically with a 2A fuse or so...change that out to about twice what the expected draw of the heated gear...15A will be good based on 6.5A jacket and 2A gloves draw, but do check with DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) to ensure the current is within your expectations. Do not want to be "caught out in the cold.":small3d014:

Thanks all. I plan on changing it out Saturday morning and going for a local ride with gear on and turn up to full power to make sure I will not get part way there and freeze to death.

"First Gear" heated clothing from Tucker Rocky/Bikers Choice dealers has some excellent heated gear at some good prices as well.

It was surprising to me some of the information that I read about First Gear and Gerbing (product development and such)

Back