free website stats program Heat | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat

Curveball

Banned
Hey People,

Have a '11 103 Limited.
Haven't done anything but Samson slip-ons yet.
The thing is Hot! ( I know, not news to anybody)
Help me out with some options, if you would.

hmm i'm new to this forum but the only 3 options i have heard of r 1 fit heat shields (attach to frame and shield your thighs from rear pot) 2 buy sert (screaming eagle race tuner) and richen up your mixture) 3 get it on a dino and they will richen up the mixture.
excesive heat from engine seems to be a lean fuel to air issue to get the engines throughthe emission tests.
i'm no expert but thats my laymans advice im sure more experienced peeps will post

Howo has you covered on this subject but there are other options besides the SERT that can cool the mix down some. TFI, TTS, PCV, PowerVision, ThunderMax etc. It's all about how much money and or highly specialized tuning for extreme performance, or code reading that you need.

If you just want to cool it down and ride on the street like an everyday user, the TFI is the most bang for your buck. The rest are also good but more in depth tuning abilities and more money to buy them.

A good bit of the heat is coming from the catalytic converter in the headpipe( right behind your right foot). Get rid of that and you'll notice a big improvement!! When doing this, you're gonna have to add some more fuel, because the exhaust is gonna flow completly differently now!!!

A good bit of the heat is coming from the catalytic converter in the headpipe( right behind your right foot). Get rid of that and you'll notice a big improvement!! When doing this, you're gonna have to add some more fuel, because the exhaust is gonna flow completly differently now!!!

Excellent point, I keep forgetting bout newer model cats. Some folks are buying replacement header pipes on Ebay with the cats removed, and some dealers are exchanging pipes with no cats.

Just be aware of who you get to cut and weld (or exactly what you are buying with the cats gone) since I've heard some of the jobs looked kinda rough.

You will still need a tuner to get rid of all the heat possible and also to make up for the increased air flow with the cat gone.

I had the same problem on my 2010 FLHTK. I removed the headers and stock pipes. Went with V & H Power Duals and Hi Out Put slip on's, a PCV5 and a stage 1. My heat issues went away! a little on the expensive side, but the performance is outstanding and the heat issues are gone.

Try:
  • Stage 1: freer flowing exhaust with no CAT converter, freer flowing AC, add fuel with a fueler or tuner.
  • Full synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
  • Take off your lower fairings during the Summer
Works for me, but I have a 88.

TQ

Might as well go this route during the garage months.
How involved is removing the Cat?

Back