free website stats program heat | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

heat

My 2010 Street Glide is the hottest running machine I've ever been on. It has the stock two into one exhaust with the catalytic converter. This thing is an oven. Even at road speed, I can feel the discomfort coming up from the engine.
I keep singing that Christmas Carrol about something roasting over an open fire....

I put the mid-frame deflectors on but the difference is minimal. I'm considering major changes, like new exhaust system, air flow and fuel management system. ( Had a TFI on my Soft tail. Will these changes effect the warranty and will it reduce the heat enough to warrant the cost ? Seeking opinions. Thanks

My 2010 Street Glide is the hottest running machine I've ever been on.

( Had a TFI on my Soft tail. Will these changes effect the warranty and will it reduce the heat enough to warrant the cost ? Seeking opinions. Thanks

I'm not changing anything with a full stage-one and using TFI then the HD shop does if you buy it from Them.

IMO,,, the TFI tuning is better than the Mapp HD offers, Unless you put out 500$$ Plus dyno time 300$$ or so for their SC tuner.. I'll stick to my TFI and I Know it won't nullify any warranty at the shop I would use....

If you do a stage one and add HD's advanced Mapp it will Still Be "Too Lean"...... Adding HD's 500$$ fueler and 300$$ for tuning on dyno, HD says "for off road applications only" Only then a proper fuel mix is able to be obtained .... Less $$ for TFI (@255$) and I can Tune and obtain the proper fuel mixture doing it simply myself.

I don't worry about the warranty as any modifications I did (stage one) will only Improve the longevity of My HD.

Full stage one with TFI and a Lot cooler!!! on my 2009 FLHR

signed....BUBBIE

don't forget to use Full Synthetic oils and No Syn3!

Harleygoodies makes a 1" spacer kit for passenger and driver floor boards, read about them on another forum. My passenger was feeling the heat from the Bassani's on our Road King, new to us this year, took our first ride yesterday in 90 degree weather, they really made a difference. Did front and back for about $80 delivered.

Got up to 85 d ambient oil temps 250. 230 mile ride around Chicago suburbs. & south beteween in & il.

I have and 010 CVO Ultra, that was hot. Added True duals Monster Ovals, Arlen Ness high flow air filter and a power commander. The bike was then dynoed. Runs great and the temp is so much lower it is amazing. The heat from the front head pipe is almost unnoticeable now, and the temp never goes over 222. Before the mods the parade mode was coming on at every light in 90 degree weather. Have not had the parade mode kick in since the upgrades were done. Plus it runs so much better.

That is really interesting. I wish I understood the true thermodynamics that were really involved here.
From just looking at what you installed, I can't wrap my mind around how pipes and an air cleaner would lower the engine temp at idle. Stock pipes and a stock air cleaner can't be that restrictive at RPM's in the 1,000 range... Think about it. Sure at 2,500 RPM and up I can see them coming into play. But at idle the butterfly in the throttle body is actually closed and the IAC is bleeding a small amount of air in just to keep the engine running. Makes no sense to me.

As far as A/F ratio. I would bet most people don't have as fat a mixture at idle than I do. Trust me, it is fat. But the other day I was caught in a traffic jam with maybe 90 degree temps outside and I thought my engine was going to have a meltdown.
It's crazy to me. If you have no air going past the cylinder fins, I can't see how a high flow air filter is going to help at all. Maybe it's the radiated heat off the pipes that helps.. You really got me on this one.

Volumetric efficiency will move more fuel/air through the engine and carry off some heat with a high flow intake and exhaust. Not so much at idle but anything above idle will see a difference.

"Went for a ride today, my wife and I just about burned up."

Now would be a good time to have the misses get her own bike so she could be LOOKING hot on her own bike, rather than being hot on yours!

Not so much at idle but anything above idle will see a difference.

That's the thing Glider. DEP47 said "parade mode" no longer kicks in. That must mean he was at idle.

When you think about it, parade mode is activated by the front cylinder temp sensor. If you were to take a compressed air blow gun and hit just the front sensor with air, the rest of the engine could melt down and the parade mode would never kick in. So whats keeping that fin area cooler in DEP47's case? I don't have a clue.

Possible the freer flowing exhaust and a power commander may just put it under the threshold of the parade mode. That's all I can think of. Different map with more fuel and ignition curve changed too.

i have 2005 roadking with true duals exhaust, i feel hardly any heat at all, ive been riding in 95 degree weather all last week , feels great to me and wife. try the pipes first.

my heat sheilds run all the way back till you hit the slip ons

Back