Heat shields and a adjustable backrest

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by ironmark, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

I have the HD adjustable backrest and I am looking for some heatshields that would work with the backrest, according to HD their heatshields will not work with the adjustable backrest. Anyone have both on their bike or is this a combination that won't work

2. mouthful

mouthful Active Member

Figure out a good place to do a little surgery on your heatshield and cut a small hole that you can access adjustment lever without compromising intigrity of heatshield. Clean up rough edges with a file. Might work with a little thought. Let us know the results.

3. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Hmmm.....strange.

I have both on my bike and it works fine. I don't actually adjust the back rest very often but I can reach a finger in there to activate the lever if need be.

4. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

I am going to give it a try, from everything I read they should work.

5. artfuentes

artfuentes Active Member

I have both on my bike as well and they work fine. I've installed two of these with the heat shields and both installed w/out a problem.
    [​IMG]

6. 89stroker

89stroker Active Member

I will add that I have both on my ultra and have no problems. The adjustment lever is hidden away, just need to reach around with a finger to make an adjustment.

7. glimmerman

glimmerman Active Member

have it on the '10 ultra. what a bear to install per instructions. need a kid w/ small hands. lol.

8. I have both on my Limited. The lever sits in behind the shield, which makes for a clean install. It's easy to adjust the lever by just reaching around the shield.

9. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

I just installed the HD mid-frame heat shields over the weekend and everything work out fine with the adjustable backrest. I would like to thank everyone for the advice.

10. Thumperhead

Thumperhead Member

Iam about to install one on my '09 Ultra Classic, can someone post a few pictures on how they installed the adjusting lever with the heat shields? Thanks