free website stats program Heat Issue | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat Issue

The first motor started to leak out the rear head and I mentioned that the oil pressure was down. They checked it out and found that the oil pump was shot and then found that the crank was not within spec. The dealer ended up replacing the whole motor. This latest motor is now leaking out the rear head also after another 6k miles. There is a recall for it now which will replace the top end gaskets, center crankcase bolt, ACR and cylinder heads with new valve guides. (Product Program 0905)

I've got a few runs scheduled this month and into June, then I'll get the work done. I wanted to wait until the later part of 2010, but the oil is leaking enough that you can smell it at stops.
Ugly John

I agree. But, not much else I can do at this point. I did buy a 7 year warranty, so I guess they will see me for a few more years. In the old days, my bikes always leaked from somewhere, so as before, I might have to live with it. I'm an old guy and won't live much longer anyway. I'll pass it onto my son and let him worry about it. :D
Ugly John

I live in Dallas and have the 07 street glide with 103 Stage II kit with the heads reworked to flow better. The heat factor is a problem you live with in the south. I did a couple of things that help some. I installed the oil cooler (like the SE bikes have as stock upgrades) but I added three pentium computer fans stacked side by side behind the oil cooler and wired them in series and I can turn them on when I am in traffic. This system keeps the oil cool enough to prevent the major pinging you get when in traffic for 10 minutes or more but only lowers the oil temp by 15 to 25 degrees. I have still seen temps of 240+ even with these items on the bike.

dude i can not believe anybody doesnt have an oil cooler. the oil bud hides out of view and the turbulence under the bike cools it. just having it keeps the oil about 25* cooler than stock. also why not pull the pipes, remove the sheilds and header wrap the pipe. then reinstall the shields and then the pipe itself. keeps the pipe outside temp about 50* cooler and helps evacuate the spent gasses faster. every bike i have has an aftermarket cooler on it. unless i lived in alaska maybe.

The header wrap will destroy the pipes in time. It keeps too much heat in and the metal will flake apart .

My 07 ulttra with stage 2 used to get very hot. I bought the XIED'S from Nightrider and it has helped. It is a simple insert into the O2 sensor line.

I have an Oil Cooler, but would never use the Oil Bud. I don't like the HD one hanging behind the front tire close to the ground, but do you know how many speed bumps it would take to crush the Oil Bud? 1 Not me....

I would have to agree with you. I would be afraid of something flying up from the front tire and damaging it. I use a Jagg vertical 10 row oil cooler. It did a great job on my 05 springer softail. I'm now using it on my 09 FLHX which runs
hotter then my springer did.

dude i can not believe anybody doesnt have an oil cooler. the oil bud hides out of view and the turbulence under the bike cools it. just having it keeps the oil about 25* cooler than stock. also why not pull the pipes, remove the sheilds and header wrap the pipe. then reinstall the shields and then the pipe itself. keeps the pipe outside temp about 50* cooler and helps evacuate the spent gasses faster. every bike i have has an aftermarket cooler on it. unless i lived in alaska maybe.

Like Glider said, the heat wrap is great for the track or a show bike but for distance, the pipes will suffer. I got my headers ceramic coated and it make a big differenc in the heat issues i had with the bike. Other than that i am running a stock motor in an 08 bagger.

Back