free website stats program Heat Issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat Issue

Ok I just got back from a day out my bike seem to run hot "LOL" last night I installed the Mcewan oil tem gauge and that thing runs up to around 300 deg. it starts out fine but gets hot fast this is what I got going on

2007 FLHX
Mobil 1 Vtwin oil 20w-50
I just installed a fullsac true dual convert kit
B&E superflow pipe not recored but the ends cot open. this set of pipes are not 100% free flow but are bal
the rest is stock

So what you guys think ?

Tonight I may put back all the stock pipes and check oil temp to see if the after market stuff if making it run hot.

I would think that was all true but my bike reads 290-300 deg. moving at 70 MPH not in traffic. it also runs fine and sounds good. I can still feel heat under the seat of my pants. when I stop and rest or eat the temp gauge go's back to a normal temp reading then runs back up to 300'

I agree I guess the oil temp gauge is a waste of money and time. I never worried before and it felt just as hot. funny thing I work at a power plant and have access to a thermal image gun lol, I was alot more content just stock I did not worrie about after market affects on the bike.

IMO the oil temp gauge is a waste of money . I would invest in a oil cooler for the $$$ . Also if you ride in alot of stop & go traffic or are in a location where it is a little warm then you may want to consider a fan kit HD 97-06 part #91550-00c for the 07 & up HD part #91196-08 . Some people may not believe that heat is a issiue but WHY would HD offer oil coolers , cooling fan kits & install heat management systems if the MOCO did not think it is a issiue ?:s Some of us ride in more extreme conditions then others :shock

i just had my 09 classic remapped with the TTS master tuner by DOC in clermont florida.it was running hot and pinging.now it is beautiful and a real joy to ride.the stock settings are all EPA driven and bad for the motor on a warm day.i guess the EPA thinks everyone lives in the canadaian wilderness.doc recommends,free flowing mofflers,air cleaner,and if you want the coolest temps you need cams too.i only debaffled my mufflers and had it remapped and it is A OK.see ya babz

I didn’t see anyone mention the fact that these 07 to 09 models really do cool down a lot after they are broken in. My 2007 was unbearable for the first 4000 to 5000 miles.

I now have 10,000 and it really is significantly cooler.

I didn’t see anyone mention the fact that these 07 to 09 models really do cool down a lot after they are broken in. My 2007 was unbearable for the first 4000 to 5000 miles.

I now have 10,000 and it really is significantly cooler.

At 23,000 mine still ran hot as a firecracker until I did the stage 1,slipons and TFI,its noticably cooler now,can't wait for a 90+ day to see just how big a difference it has made

No tuner, I plan to make it all stock and see what the temp returns hopefully back under 280 deg. I am going to the River run in two weeks and don't want a problem.

Okay now I have made my bike back to stock, funny thing I think I sounds loader then te convert and air seems to flo better with my hand test "hands at back of pipes" I let you guys know if it improves.

Just got back in and I am happy my temps returned to normal operating range, so at this point I can't say what caused my bike to overheat.

I can't recommend the B&E pipes or the true dual conversion kits that are on the market since I can't tell what caused temp to rise so high.

The stock head pipe on the rear cylinder temp Via IR temp gun
Was 475-500 Degrees and the oil temp 225-240 deg with ambient air temp of 62 degeres for 40 miles? this was after I returned it to stock exhust system

In conclusion I believe that prolonged use of this after market setup will cause engine to fail.
This is just my opinion and you should make up your own mind and read about any future changes you plan to do on your bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also go with the TFI like Lew mentioned. You should question what was done to the bike. It sounds like it was at the dealers from what you say. Chances are they downloaded a different fuel map and maybe that could be the reason for the difference.

Back