free website stats program Heat and Oil | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat and Oil

I'm not sure which gauge is in your bike but you will need either HD # 75320-05 Spun Aluminum Face or HD # 75324-05A Silver Face. MSRP $139.95 - One of these two will match your stock gauges and see above for installation instructions.

Just did mine and it is a worthwhile upgrade.

I changed to the Spectro oil, and while I was at it I adjusted the clutch, lubed the cables, pulled the speedo sensor (yea there were furrys on it) fired it up and it idled fine. Rode about 2 miles to the store and when I stopped it died, no idle. So now whenever I stop I have to work the throttle a little just to keep it running. I didn't do anything to the throttle part.

I live in Az where the ground temps can reach 150 degrees on a 110 degree air temp day.

That is high. Regardless of oil temp, I have no clue how the jugs & heads take that level of heat.

Just a normal hot day where I live (90*-95*) the top end cylinder temps hit 315* within 90 seconds at a long stop light. With the bike moving, it is one thing. Standing still is another.

Even when the engine goes in high heat management, the cylinder temp does NOT begin to fall. It reduces the rate of increase but it still goes higher as witnessed by data fields on SEST.
Even if you begin to POUR more fuel into the engine (tried it), the temps do not fall.
The people at Revolution Performance imply those head temps are dangerously high,,, but I can not see what can be done about it.

I THINK my Lenale fan helps to cool the engine at stops. I used the word THINK because I have nothing to really prove that it cools other than it does blow air through the V of the cylinders. I must THINK it works some because I always remember to switch it on at long stoplights.

I'm going to get the HD oil temp gauge to replace that stupid air temp gauge on the dash of my EG. I'm going to check with my local HD shop after work. I'll report back here how much it sets me back ($ and downtime) to have it installed by my local HD dealership.

Just a normal hot day where I live (90*-95*) the top end cylinder temps hit 315* within 90 seconds at a long stop light. With the bike moving, it is one thing. Standing still is another.

The people at Revolution Performance imply those head temps are dangerously high,,, but I can not see what can be done about it.

Hoople,
I would think YOU a perfect candidate for the Lenale fan.. Just to give it your blessings or Not...
Maybe Lennaly Might get involved with You, putting a "test model" on YOUR bike to Report "How It Works"....

I know Len reads on the site so maybe... Or a PM might get a reply..
Not sure of His HDT name.

signed....BUBBIE

I just paid a visit to the service manager at my local HD dealership. They will install the oil temp gauge (part # 75265-04A) in the slot for my EG's air temp gauge for $229.00. Were I to install it myself, the oil temp kit alone is $149.00.
I'm gonna get that done most rickey tic (that's fairly soon in civilian lingo).

I was glad to have the Linale fan today. in the higher 90's and humid here with a stretch of "one lane" construction through town. I sat and idled for at least 4-5 minutes a couple of times with nothing heat related happening to my engine. Yeaaaaaaah, I'd like to read other reports about using the Linale fan, too.

Thanks again Glider, I'll do that today. I've been pulling the speed sensor each day and getting the last of the "furrys" off. Yesterday temps hit 119 in places and I was out in it riding, nothing really happened except my speedo dropped to zero again. But last night it "cooled down" to about 95 and that stupid idiot light came on within the first mile. So I guess today is pull the sensor again, clean out that IAC valve, see if I can check any codes present and hopefully not create anymore gray hairs while doing it. I'm half tempted to get my own scanalyzer but I'm sure those gizmos aren't cheap.
One added note......I bought a "cool vest" yesterday manufactured by Tech Niche International, they're inexpensive and really made a difference. If you're in the heat check them out Cooling Overview :: Evaporative & Phase Change Cooling :: TechNiche International

Dave

Sometimes the reoccurring problems brought about by the speed sensor can only be fixed by replacement of the sensor itself as opposed to cleaning.

Back