free website stats program Heat and Oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat and Oil

Thanks Glider......I was told there may be a problem switching from dino to full syn...mainly having to flush out all the old oil.......wives tail?

Last edited by a moderator:
What weight syn should I use, the heat hasn't even hit here yet, I'm expecting days of 115+ before too long.......arghhhhhhh. And sometimes I get caught in stop and go traffic which really (EDIT). Can you suggest a reasonably priced oil cooler that WORKS....it's a one time shot, most that I've seen aren't refundable and I can only afford it......once.....

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't recommend using any single weight oil in your bike. 20/50 is the most common but in the high heat, you could probably get away with the 20/60.

The service manual says 230 for normal operating temp but no two bikes are the same and neither are manufacturer's oils.

We put on 300 plus miles today in 90 degree heat and killer humidity, my in-dash temp gauge stayed at 205 degrees all day.

I run Spectro 20/50 in all my bikes and just changed over to their full syn. I also use their chain case oil, but Red Line in the tranny.

We put on 300 plus miles today in 90 degree heat and killer humidity, my in-dash temp gauge stayed at 205 degrees all day.

Slight hijack... what gauge are you guys using for the oil temp - was thinking yesterday that it might be nice to replace the air temp with something that was actually meaningfull (and maybe even somewhat accurate)?

Back