free website stats program Heat and oil temperature | Harley Davidson Forums

Heat and oil temperature

BOWHIKER

I thought I'd post this for others to see . Two days ago when I left work it was 106 degrees , now I onlt have a 12 mile ride home but when I got to the edge of town I was stuck at a traffic light for abou 3 min. but it seemed like forever . Then from there it's only a mile or so to my house at 35 mph. When I pulled in the garage I decide to check the oil temp to see how hot it got . I have a very accurate Rochester probe type gauge that I just drop in the oil tank , much to my surprise it only went up to 230 degrees . I'm running Mobile 1 v-twin so I'm sold on it's one of the best you can use . When I was riding home it felt like I was riding in an oven .

I'm running Mobile 1 v-twin so I'm sold on it's one of the best you can use .

That is a great number but are you saying the reason why the oil temp was so low is from using Mobile 1 V-twin? I have never used M1 V-twin, but do you think it would really make that big of a change in temperature.

The heat management software didn't kick in when you got stuck at the long light?

From all I've been able to find on the internet, full-synthetic oil, whether it be Mobil 1, Lucas, Amsoil, etc., is considered to be superior to petro-oil; especially in the V-twins.
I run Lucas full-syn 20w-50 in the motor of my Road King. Lucas full-syn 140/75 gear oil on the tranny. And Lucas full-syn primary oil.
The motor seems to run quieter and smoother with a better idle, and the transmission is less noisey.
Also, any of the fully-synthetic oils will work fine as long as they are of the correct viscosity and formulated for motorcycles. I chose Lucas because of the price. :bigsmiley12:

Don't you need to have the dealer turn the heat management on for you?

Nope...EITMS on/off is user controlled & all you do is:

1. Ignition ON & engine/run switch to RUN
2. Push throttle to roll-off & hold
3. Hold ~3 seconds
4. Cruise lamp "green" = ON, or "red" = OFF

Nope...EITMS on/off is user controlled & all you do is:

1. Ignition ON & engine/run switch to RUN
2. Push throttle to roll-off & hold
3. Hold ~3 seconds
4. Cruise lamp "green" = ON, or "red" = OFF

Does my 2000 have this feature....I'm guessing it doesn't ....not really sure I'd want it anyway.

Back