Heal or Toe shifter

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by readski, Jul 11, 2008.

1. readski

readski Member

Ever since I got my Heritage(last Nov) I have never utilized the heal shifter... just recently I started to try it out and find it quite appealing.... still hard to break the toe habit (up shifts).... So what does everyone else do? Anyone got input as to advantages or even why the heal shift lever?

2. SeaRider04

SeaRider04 Active Member

Toe shifter here, have a left boot with scuff marks to prove it :p

3. kemo

kemo R.I.P

There first time I rode a Harely in the mid 80's I ddn't care for the H&T shifter at all. Now I love it

4. TXMikey

TXMikey Junior Member

I use both, although probably use the toe more than the heel.

5. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

The heel shifter is there to keep the top of your boots pristine. If you don't care or ride in sneakers or other shoes, you can shift whichever way you like.

6. USMCCWO5

USMCCWO5 Junior Member

I love my heal shifter. I just replaced my stock one with a longer one to get more foot room. Shifts like butter!

7. TXMikey

TXMikey Junior Member

I have occasional "brain farts" and find myself trying to downshift with my heel.

Didn't like the way the heel shifter limited my space on the footboard, and was going to take it off. Then, I found a new heel shifter that HD came out with that lets the shifter peg fold back out of the way. Now, I've got the heel shifter to use when I want, and more room on the footboard. Even with it folded back, I can still use it to shift.

8. Mr Clean

Mr Clean New Member

I do not use mine at all but keep it on for looks. I could not get the feel of it after toe shifting for more than 15 years.

9. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

TOe shifter i cannot get used to the heal shifter even removed mine

10. waterdog

waterdog Active Member

I use my heel shifter about 40 % of the time - usually when my feet are on the highway pegs, cause it's easier to up shift that way. When my feet are on the floorboards, it's usually easier to up shift with my toe.

Hey USMC - where did you get the longer shifter? Got any more info and maybe some pics? I've been thinking of doing that for the same reason. Seen a couple on the Internet, but haven't cared for the design of them.