free website stats program Headphones for 09 Electraglide Classic ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Headphones for 09 Electraglide Classic ?

cowpoke

I have the 09 EG Classic (not the Ultra)

All I'm interested in is listening to the radio via headphones or earbuds. (not necessarily the driver to passenger communication set up)

What are the option for doing this.

Thanks, that post seemed to be geared more for the GPS, intercom, driver to passenger communication....

What I'm looking for is just the ability to listen to the radio by headphone.

I looked at doing what you want to do without investing $400.00 for the HD kit (77104-09) PLUS the cost of HD headsets. I THINK this will do what you want to do but want to throw in a disclamer:

I have not attempted this, am only basing it on looking at the wiring schematics in the service manual, cannot guarantee it will do what you want, nor take any responsability for damage caused to the HK Advanced Audio System.

It is some work and unless you are a relatively experienced mechanic and intimately familiar with the bike, I would suggest you have it done by someone who is.

Somewhere under your seat behind the battery box, there should be a 12-pin deutch connector that normally hooks to the tank console connector on an Ultra as well as to the sidecar intercom. If you wire a standard female mini-stereo connector/wire into a plug to plug into it that you can then route it from under the saddle and plug in a standard stereo headset, you should get audio. To do this right will require purchasing a deutch connector [53B], pins and a crimper. (If you know a HD tech or someone that can assemble this for you with their crimper (not cheap), it could save you some $$$)

pin6 (BE/Y) - PTT Mic
pin7 (Y/BK) - Headset Speaker (Shared)
pin8 (Y/W) - Left Front Headset Speaker
pin9 (Y/R) - Right Front Headset Speaker
pin10 (R) - Front Mic
pin11 (BK) - Mic Shared
pin12 (Shield) - Shield

You may also wish to be able to shut OFF the fairing speakers. This can be accomplished if you can buy and install a Speaker switch (77092-98) and wire it (4 wires) into your fairing cap connector [105B] which is a 12-place Tyco 070 Multilock connector. This requires removing the ignitionswitch knob. Again, if you know a tech that can do this as well as the wiring of the switch, it would save some money.

The manual shows the wiring for the speaker switch going into connector [105B] as follows:

pin9 (O/BE) - radio power
pin10 (V/O) - Headset Speaker A
pin11 (BN/O) - Headset Speaker B
pin12 (BK/GN) - Ground

This is assuming that the speaker comes pre-wired. If not, and the wires must be attached to the lugs on the switch, I do not see a pinout diagram for the switch.
Harley%20Speaker%20Switch.JPG

:bigsmiley6:If you plan on using the 7 pin connector, do what I did and get a headset from "imcmoto.com" for just $75.00 that's supposed to actually be better than what Harley sells. You don't have to use the full communication function but got it if you change your mind later.:bigsmiley6:

I can't do a link but here it is except for the http:
//imcmoto.com/harley-davidson-ultra-classic-headsets/7-pin-headset-w-boom-microphone.html

I got an adapter (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/50599313/c5_1_b.JPG) that plugs into the headset jack and converts to any stereo mini plug but Cowpoke's issue is, unlike our Ultra Classics, his Classic does not have any headset recepticle, either on the tank or in back for the passenger. The Classic doesn't have the intercom activated either, and requires a flash download to make it work once you install the $400 kit to give the bike the stereo headset recepticles PLUS the cost of the headsets (currently listed at $99.95-Boom!™ Audio Full Helmet Music Headset | Genuine Motor Accessories | Harley-Davidson USA) So, what I am assuming he is trying to do is be able to just use inexpensive walkman style earbuds to listen to his stereo instead of having to share his music with everyone on the interstate highway due to having to be cranked up to overcome wind / exhaust noise. I THINK my suggestion should work OK seeing that it ties into the same harness that the headphone recepticles plug into. Inly issue I see would be impedence of the earbuds as the HK audio speakers are 2-ohm speakers but I can't see a set of earbuds being much more.

Cowpoke...Ya had me REALLY worried there...I just looked at your profile and it says you ride a 99 FXSTC. I am assuming you got a new ride (09 FLHTC) and just haven't changed the profile yet? (I hope after ripping the books apart researching this.)

Back