free website stats program Headlight | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight

On way home from work last night and head light went dim. When i would switch the hi beam off it would go dim but would never go out. If i switched the hi beam back on it would be bright like normal for a bit but then would go dim again. Got home and checked battery had 12.5 with bike off and with bike started it would jump up to 14.5 when reving it up. my question is do i need to go ahead and check regulator and stator, if the battery seems to be charging fine? Checked the bulb and it had a burnt spot on it. Replaced it. Everything else seems to be working fine tail light is not dim turn signals are bright and the radio works fine. 2003 road king

On way home from work last night and head light went dim. When i would switch the hi beam off it would go dim but would never go out. If i switched the hi beam back on it would be bright like normal for a bit but then would go dim again. Got home and checked battery had 12.5 with bike off and with bike started it would jump up to 14.5 when reving it up. my question is do i need to go ahead and check regulator and stator, if the battery seems to be charging fine? Checked the bulb and it had a burnt spot on it. Replaced it. Everything else seems to be working fine tail light is not dim turn signals are bright and the radio works fine. 2003 road king

How old is that battery? A full charge should be @ 12.7 volts It would not hurt to load test the battery, then do the charging yest with a known good battery for best results

One thing to easily rule out....pull the head lamp and make sure the plug on the back of it is in good shape. I have seen a couple get a bit warm over time.

are you running an OEM bulb?

I'd say two years on battery. and the plug on back of headlight looks good. forgot to mention that the ground wire to my hogtunes speakers had a small knick on it. repaired that and moved so hopefully won't happen again.
could not get the headlight to do the same thing once i got it home and in the garage. Running or not it seemed to be bright as could be.

Back