free website stats program Headlight | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight

After reading as much as I could find from the search feature about the Osram Bulb, I ordered one on 10/15 from Germanautoparts.com. I got it on the 17th and installed it yesterday. The bulb itself was $12.45 with tax and freight, total cost was $18.69.
I immediately saw an improvement from the stock bulb in the daylight. Haven't had a chance to ride at night yet but I'm sure the difference will be substantial.
My only concern is heat build up causing wires to melt or some sort of malfunction. I'll be monitoring the headlight to make sure everything stays right.
If I notice any changes I'll post what I find. But if no one else has had any problems, I don't anticipate any myself.
Semper Fi
Tom

I bought my bike used ... when I took out the old bulb and installed the BP1210, I thought it was odd that the old bulb looked so similar. I took a magnifying glass so I could read the stamp, it was an Osram HR2/H4 9003 60/55W. I guess the original owner installed it. I have to say that after alittle comparison, I put the Osram back. It seems to produce at least as good a light, alittle better color, and it doesn't burn as hot. I might try something else in the future, but for now, I'm happy with the Osram.

The Osram 60/55W is equivalent to the stock bulb. If you want to improve the lighting try the 80/100 watt Osram

Brighter Headlights - Harley Davidson Community

Funny, my bike came stock with Osram 55/60 watt Osram stock...and yes as Glider says the off road only....s-h-h-u-s-h 80/100 watt works great!

I was under the impression that Silverstar and XtraVision are both Osram bulbs, Silverstar being the brightest with a shorter life and XtraVision, brighter than standard bulbs, not as bright as Silverstar, but longer life.

I put in an 80/100 watt bulb (the Osram) March 4th. I loved the great beam at low and could see both sides of road and my driving lane was bright and sharp. I usually rode with the low beam in the day time and hi/lo at night. Yesterday the low beam died and I rode with the hi on all day, no problem but I am kind of dissapointed the low beam only lasted 2 months of weekend riding. Maybe it had a weak filement? I ordered two more and if they last longer, I won't have any complaints, but if it turns out 10-12 200 mile rides is all you can get out of one bulb I will be looking for something else.

Be sure to let therm know when you order the replacement what happened to your bulb and how short the life was. I suspect they may have a different manufacturer because I have never had a problem with the 80/100 in all the years I used them.

Be sure to let therm know when you order the replacement what happened to your bulb and how short the life was. I suspect they may have a different manufacturer because I have never had a problem with the 80/100 in all the years I used them.

Thank you for the tip, I did tell them about only getting 2 months out of the low beam and he said they have a 1 year waranty; so I only pay for 1 of the two new bulbs. He also added if it goes out again that the problem is most likely not the bulb, he sells 100's and have no defect issues but one is always possible; they also recommend that I run the bulb through a relay since it is a higher wattage than the OEM, but I only see that as protecting the bike's wire not helping the bulb last longer.

It pays to let them know when there is a problem with the bulb as you can see.

Using a relay IMO wouldn't make a difference in the life of the bulb. It would give a better supply of power but shouldn't effect the longevity of the bulb. If anything the lower voltage would extend the life IMO.

Back