free website stats program Headlight won't work | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight won't work

wood2jeep

2008 Streetglide. Just bought it not sure if headlight was working, it does have aftermarket bars and controls. The fuse is good, the headlight bulb looks good and does pass continuity test. Can't see any broken or bare wires, did check ground wire.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

2008 Streetglide. Just bought it not sure if headlight was working, it does have aftermarket bars and controls. The fuse is good, the headlight bulb looks good and does pass continuity test. Can't see any broken or bare wires, did check ground wire.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

check the switch on the bars for a pinched wire. did you check for polarity at the recepticle?

check the switch on the bars for a pinched wire. did you check for polarity at the recepticle?

I did check the bars and didn't see any pinched wires, also checked the continuity at the plug and the ground. No juice at the headlight plug though.
Pulled the fairing off and still can not see anything obvious.

Thanks for the response.

Wood2jeep, welcome to HDTimeline and hope this simplified schematic will help:

Wiringdiag.jpg

Your HD is fairly new, is it covered under warranty and do you have a DMM ($1.99 right now at Harbor Freight w/ coupon) and an service manual to help you troubleshoot?

Since nowadays a headlight relay is used so high current does not need to flow all the way up to the control bar/ignition switch wiring, and being it is an electro-mechanical device, do you hear the headlight relay click when you turn the ignition to on? Most new bikes have the headlamps come on with ignition switch (due to most states REQUIRE headlight operation when motorcycle is running).

Wood2jeep, welcome to HDTimeline and hope this simplified schematic will help:

Your HD is fairly new, is it covered under warranty and do you have a DMM ($1.99 right now at Harbor Freight w/ coupon) and an service manual to help you troubleshoot?

Since nowadays a headlight relay is used so high current does not need to flow all the way up to the control bar/ignition switch wiring, and being it is an electro-mechanical device, do you hear the headlight relay click when you turn the ignition to on? Most new bikes have the headlamps come on with ignition switch (due to most states REQUIRE headlight operation when motorcycle is running).

Thanks, glad to join. No warranty, bought it used. Do have a multimeter and I am not getting any juice to the plug. Do you know where the headlamp relay is located? I hear a click with I turn the ignition on but I assumed that was just the fuel pump.

Thanks Again

Sorry I didn't read your other post, welcome to the forum. Don't know of a headlamp relay but here's the fues & relays, are you sure #14 is good, did you check high & low beam and is anything else not working.
FLHX08FUSEBOX.jpg

Thanks for the response.
I did check the fuses and even switched some just in case. None were blown. The headlamp (both hi/low) is the only thing not working.
Thanks again,

Being it's the high and the low, check the ground on the headlight shell. I would use a 12 tester to trace the circuit back for the +12volts or lack of it starting at the headlight plug and working back into the harness.

Back