free website stats program Headlight problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight problems

chasntails

My 97 Softail headlight quit working. Indicator light is on Hi Beam and does not change when the switch is changed to the low beam setting. Does not matter which setting it is on, the headlight still does not work.

I changed the headlight dimmer/horn switch with no change. Still no headlight. Tail light and brake lights, passing lights and turn signals all work. Headlight bulb looks brand new.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Have you pulled the bulb out and checked the connector for voltage? That's where I would start. Sounds like your 3 prong plug has overheated and shorting out. My '96 Ultra did that with the Hi beam indicator. At night with low beam I could still see the indicator barely glowing. Daytime couldn't see it. My problem was the overheated connector.
tourbox

Just thought I'd let you know that I checked the connection for the headlight and there was a problem with the connector on one lobe. Most likely from improper installation, it appeared to be forced together pushing one tab to the side which eventually heated the plastic connection enough so it interrupted the connection. Cost me $1.50 for the plastic connector without wires.

Thanks a million for the tip. You were spot on.

Glad you gott'er fixed. Easier replacing the connector than having to run down wiring problem.
tourbox

Just thought I'd let you know that I checked the connection for the headlight and there was a problem with the connector on one lobe. Most likely from improper installation, it appeared to be forced together pushing one tab to the side which eventually heated the plastic connection enough so it interrupted the connection. Cost me $1.50 for the plastic connector without wires.

Thanks a million for the tip. You were spot on.

I had a situation once with a higher intensity bluish headlight bulb causing connector to overheat and melt.... :(

I had a situation once with a higher intensity bluish headlight bulb causing connector to overheat and melt.... :(
It's recommended that if you go to a higher intensity bulb you should also change the plug and wires. That's suppose to cure the hot and melting issue.

I have found that most times the melting is caused not by the higher intensity bulb itself but by a poor connection that will cause it to heat up. If you have a good solid and clean connection the connection and the wiring will be OK.

It's important to make sure the plug fits tightly onto the bulb. If it doesn't and you're in doubt, pick up a new plug.

As with any electrical connection, if not clean and tight there will be more resistance and more heating, kind of like with a bad spark plug wire it will take more voltage to fire the same spark:D Remember these beasts vibrate, the number one enemy of electrical components besides heat

Last edited by a moderator:
Back