free website stats program Headlight modulator help | Harley Davidson Forums

Headlight modulator help

Daytrip

I have a Kisan headlight modulator that I used for 2 years on my previous bike. The web site calls for the exact same unit for my 08 Ultra, so I installed it. All I get is the 8 flashes which--according to the web site, indicates it's going to the default setting. But then nothing happens. It does not flash at all after the 8 flashes--even in bright sunlight. I followed the directions and tried to reset it several times over the past couple of days. It's been off the other bike for a few months.

Anybody know what the problem could be? The sensor is installed on the rightside handlebar--turned up a la the directions.

[I expect all you anti-modulator guys to restrain from the catcalls and wiseacre remarks? <GBG>]: :s

Alan

wiseacre remarks
Not here:11:

I suspect your problem is coming from the TSM/TSSM security module on the bike if it's the directionals you are saying that flash 8 times. If I remember correctly the modulator will effect the tsm/tssm also.

Try this...

Turn on the ignition and set the left directional, let it blink 5 times and then do the same with the other side. Turn off the ignition and see if your lights blink then. What this does is to relearn the voltage supplied to the TSM. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't depending on the change of draw through the unit.

I had installed my SilverStar on my ultra and it worked for about 2 days....then it just wouldnt let the low beam work at all. I had it on my C50 for about a year without any probs. I tend to think Ultras DONT like modulaters.

Not here:11:

I suspect your problem is coming from the TSM/TSSM security module on the bike if it's the directionals you are saying that flash 8 times. If I remember correctly the modulator will effect the tsm/tssm also.

Try this...

Turn on the ignition and set the left directional, let it blink 5 times and then do the same with the other side. Turn off the ignition and see if your lights blink then. What this does is to relearn the voltage supplied to the TSM. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't depending on the change of draw through the unit.
Actually it's the headlight that flashes 8 times--as it should if going to the default setting. But then it should begin to flash regularly when on high beam. But I get nothing--just a steady high beam.

OK sorry, I thought you were referring to the directional lights flashing, wasn't sure.
Have no idea about the headlight flashing, have you contacted the manufacturer about it maybe in an email or phone call?

Do you have a stock size bulb in the headlight?

Can you post a link to the directions? Is this the one that plugs onto the back of the bulb and then the wiring plug on the bike plugs into that unit? Got a part number for the unit?

Yes--this is the plug n play Kisan--115W-S. This site has an applications page and you can download installation instructions. Except for pulling the fairing, it's a 5 minute job. Yes this is the one that plugs onto the back of the bulb and then the wiring plug on the bike plugs into that unit. Then all you do is secure the sensor in a place to receive light.
Here's the site. Thx for the help.
Safety Electronics For Motorcycles

Last edited:
I looked over the instructions and it's a simple install with really no room for error. As I stated above, are you running the stock headlight bulb wattage or oversize or even a different type bulb. Those are about the only things short of a defect that would cause a problem as far as I can see.

I looked over the instructions and it's a simple install with really no room for error. As I stated above, are you running the stock headlight bulb wattage or oversize or even a different type bulb. Those are about the only things short of a defect that would cause a problem as far as I can see.

I've never changed the bulb--it's stock. Thx for the help.

I have a Kisan headlight modulator that I used for 2 years on my previous bike. The web site calls for the exact same unit for my 08 Ultra, so I installed it. All I get is the 8 flashes which--according to the web site, indicates it's going to the default setting. But then nothing happens. It does not flash at all after the 8 flashes--even in bright sunlight. I followed the directions and tried to reset it several times over the past couple of days. It's been off the other bike for a few months.

Anybody know what the problem could be? The sensor is installed on the rightside handlebar--turned up a la the directions.

[I expect all you anti-modulator guys to restrain from the catcalls and wiseacre remarks? <GBG>]: :s

Alan

I have the same one on my 08 ultra and it works great. I feel safer with it and don't care what the anti headlight modulator people think. I have one for the taillights too!!! But in regards to your problem with it not working, sounds like the daylight sensor is maybe losing connection or has broken wire or modulator is bad ( was it overloaded?) At night, mine will flash 8 times till it realizes it is night and then stays on high beam (no flash) thats what makes me think it is something with light sensor. Hope this helps.

Back